Lemon Mustard Chicken with Potatoes is a QUICK and EASY dinner with crispy chicken and potatoes roasted in the oven. It takes just 10 minutes to prep. Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
I made lemon mustard chicken with potatoes after returning from vacation, trying to find something to make in a hurry. I haven’t done a quick and simple dinner recipe since Natalie went back to college, but I’m back with this wonderful mustard chicken dish with potatoes cooked right along with the chicken.
I was inspired by a steak I had on vacation that was covered with a delicious mustard cream sauce. It made me want to experiment more with mustard. I’m not a yellow mustard fan, the country Dijon type is more to my liking.
What is the difference in MUSTARDS
Sometimes the mustard section in the grocery can be overwhelming. So here is a quick guide to help you choose.
- Yellow mustard: The most common American type, great for corndogs and burgers. It’s made of finely ground mustard seeds, vinegar and tumeric. This is the mildest.
- Dijon mustard: It’s made with wine rather than vinegar and brown mustard seeds for a stronger and more pungent taste. Great for sauces and salad dressings.
- Whole Grain mustard: Made with brown and black mustard seeds that are just barely ground so the texture is thick and the flavor is strong and packs a punch. This is my husband’s favorite which has a very strong mustard taste.
- Country Dijon mustard: This is a hybrid between a whole grain and a Dijon mustard. The texture is slightly thick but it is still a fairly mild mustard.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
What you’ll need
You only need a few ingredients for this simple dish.
- Chicken thighs – with bones and skin. This makes enough to coat 8 chicken thighs.
- Mustard – choose mild or strong depending on your preference
- Lemon – zest first then use the juice
- Thyme – dried to add more flavor
- Baby potatoes – or slice new potatoes in bite size pieces
How do you MAKE lemon mustard chicken with roasted potatoes
Step 1: For this quick one pot recipe, you mix mustard, olive oil, lemon juice and thyme together and rub it onto the chicken.
Step 2: Brown the chicken thighs in a hot skillet until golden brown about 5 minutes per side.
Step 2: Add the potatoes to the now empty skillet and roast them in the oven for about 20 minuets. This allows the dijon mustard chicken juice to absorb into the potatoes as they bake.
Step 3: When the potatoes are about done, the chicken is added back to the pan, and it all cooks together for about 20 more minutes. The result is crispy potatoes and mustard chicken that is almost effortless.
Rubbing the mustard into the chicken and then searing it, locks in the flavor so that the chicken is mouth watering.
My skillet won’t fit 8 chicken thighs but I love this as leftovers so I’ll just put the extra chicken and potatoes in a baking dish and cook it along side the skillet.
If you want a stronger mustard flavor use a whole grain mustard. I like a milder mustard like dijon.
If you put the thighs skin side down in a fairly hot skillet, it should take about 3-5 minutes for them to get crispy brown.
165º is considered a safe temperature for chicken thighs.
After browning the chicken, you can make this in a glass casserole dish.
More WEEKNIGHT dinners
- Baked alla vodka can be prepared in the time it takes the pasta to cook
- Tex-Mex tater tot casserole can be assembled in about 20 minutes
- Use prepared pizza dough and enjoy barbecue cups
- Try baked rice with Italian sausage
Chicken dishes you’ll love
- Chicken meatballs
- Chicken and rice
- Garlic chicken
- Chicken wings
- Queso chicken
- Chicken with dates
- Chicken rice bowl
- Instant pot BBQ chicken
- Chicken and wine
- Nut crusted chicken
Lemon Mustard Chicken with Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 chicken thighs bone in with skin on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups baby potatoes quartered
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, mustard, lemon juice and zest and thyme. Using your fingers, rub this on the front ,back and under the skin of the chicken thighs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large oven proof skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- Add potatoes to skillet, mix with drippings and salt and pepper. Place in oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are cooked and slightly brown. Add chicken and return to oven for about 20-25 minutes until meat thermometer reads 165º.
- If you don’t have an oven proof skillet or it’s not big enough to hold all the chicken, bake in a glass baking dish.
- You can substitute new potatoes, just cut into bite size pieces.
- Try any variety of mustard you like, for a stronger flavor use a whole grain mustard.
If you make Lemon Mustard Chicken with Potatoes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.