What is coriander
How do you make this delicious chicken soup recipe
This recipe is very simple to make with about 15 minutes of preparation and about 30 minutes to cook.
Step 1: Sauté the vegetables in a Dutch oven or large pot until the carrots and celery have softened a little. Add the seasonings and chicken broth and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
Step 2: Add the chicken, corn, lime juice and zest and cilantro and let bring it to a boil and serve.
With the girls back at school I find myself with leftover roasted chicken and this is a perfect way to use up those leftovers. If you want to make roast your own chicken breasts, it’s so easy, you can find the directions in my chicken chili recipe.
I added fresh corn which we are still seeing in the grocery. It’s not from North Carolina but it still has some flavor and if you add it at the end, it gives the soup a nice texture. You could serve this over rice if you’re looking for something heartier, but I liked it better just as it is. Simple, but with a pop of flavor from the coriander. It’s like adding a colorful scarf to a black dress, it completely changes the outfit.
What to serve with SOUP
- A delicious yeast roll goes great with soup or chili
- I live in the South, so of course biscuits
- A batch of cornbread would be awesome
- Can’t decide which to make, go with a hybrid of cornbread biscuits
- Try a not yeast soda bread
- Cheesy pull apart bread is another great option
- Have fun and make some yeast knots
If you make Zesty Chicken Soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Zesty Chicken Soup
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 4-5 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 3-4 stalks celery diced small
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup corn
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 lime lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. Once hot, add onion, carrots and celery and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper and the rest of the spices and saute for 1-2 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add chicken stock.
- Bring soup to a rolling simmer and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until vegetables are as tender as you like them.
- Add remaining ingredients and additional salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil and serve.