I was raised in the South and can honestly say, I never had an artichoke until I was out of college much less penne with artichokes and Italian sausage. I don’t feel like I led a sheltered life, we just don’t cook with artichokes much in the South (except for artichoke dip) and I have no idea why. It could be that artichokes need cool summer weather so that leaves us out. They grow in Northern California where the summers are cool and the winters are mild. For everything you need to know about artichokes, check out Ocean Mist Farms.
So, I’m a little intimidated by this strange vegetable. This recipe uses frozen artichokes, which I didn’t even know you could purchase, but sure enough they are in the freezer section with the rest of the vegetables. If you can’t find the frozen ones, canned will work also. I love the flavor and texture they add to the sun dried tomatoes and Italian sausage. A really simple pasta dish with some added fresh mozzarella mixed in at the end. Just a few ingredients but the perfect combination.
How do you make Penne with Artichokes and Italian Sausage
- Boil the pasta
- Cook the Italian sausage and remove from skillet
- Sauté the artichokes with garlic and add sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth and white wine and let cook
- Add cooked pasta and sausage, mozzarella and parmesan cheese and seasonings
Start to finish in just 30 minutes. Everyone was in agreement that I need to cook with artichokes more often. Give them a try, you’ll be surprised at how much flavor they add.
What is Italian sausage
More Artichoke recipes
Do you love Pasta dishes as much as me, you might like some of these recipes
- You’ll love cheesy baked penne alla vodka
- For a one pot meal, try quick and easy taco pasta
- For a heartier meal, try a traditional Sunday sauce with beef short ribs
- Need to take a meal to a friend, stuffed shells can be made ahead and frozen
- Add some spinach and shrimp for a creamy pasta dish
Penne with Artichokes and Italian Sausage
- ¾ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes drained and reserve oil
- 2 tablespoons reserved oil from sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 lb Italian sausage casings removed
- 16 ounces frozen artichoke hearts Or canned
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 12 ounces penne
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh basil chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese drained and cubed
- pinch pepper flakes optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While you are waiting, make the sauce.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of reserved oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and break apart with a spoon, cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Add canned or thawed artichoke hearts and garlic to the same skillet and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, wine and sliced sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to the artichoke mixture. Add sausage, parmesan cheese, and basil back to the pan. Stir in the cubed mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper and serve with additional parmesan.