There’s nothing better than golden brown, flaky puff pastry. Whether you’re in the mood for sweet or savory, here are some scrumptious puff pastry breakfast ideas for your next brunch, holiday gathering or breakfast.
When it comes time to wow your friends or family, puff pastry is your answer. It’s easy to work and there’s nothing like that buttery, flaky texture in each bite. I especially love to use it for breakfast and brunch gatherings. So with the holidays coming up, I’m sharing some fantastic puff pastry breakfast ideas to serve to your family and friends.
Table of contents
Why should you make recipes with puff pastry
- You can use it for sweet or savory dishes
- It doesn’t take long to bake
- You can prep the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning
- Everyone loves the buttery taste
- While light and flaky, it’s strong enough to hold a filling
What is puff pastry
Puff pastry is a laminated dough which means that butter is layered between the dough creating pockets of air. This is what makes it so light and flaky. The butter is what gives it that distinct flavor that we love. While they love to make the contestants on Bake Off make it, it’s a very time consuming process to make your own puff pastry. As long as you use a puff pastry that contains butter, it’s not worth the effort to make your own. Buy it frozen.
What type of puff pastry should you use for breakfast pastries
First choice: The best puff pastry that I’ve found is Dufour. It is an all butter puff pastry which will result in a light and flaky pastry with a buttery flavor. It is readily available at most speciality stores like Whole Foods and Fresh Market in my area of the country and can be found in the freezer section.
Second choice: Trader Joe’s puff pastry. This is also made with butter and is much less expensive than Dufour. However, it is seasonal. You can only find it starting in the Fall but once they run out, you can’t get it anymore. When you find it, if you have the space, stock up.
Third choice: Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry is readily available and less expensive. However, it has no butter so you will not get that rich flavor you will get with an all butter puff pastry. It will still be flaky and is a great option if you are looking for a vegan puff pastry.
Tips for working with puff pastry
For any puff pastry recipe whether it’s for breakfast, appetizer or dessert, there are a few tips that can make working with this laminated dough a little easier.
- Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If you forgot, you can thaw it at room temperature, but once thawed, place it back in the refrigerator to cool down.
- Once thawed, use it within a day. If it goes longer, the texture will not be as good.
- If it gets too warm and hard to work with while you are assembling your pastry, place it back in the refrigerator for a few minutes. It helps to work on a piece of parchment paper. You can just slide a cookie sheet underneath it and put it in the fridge.
- Once you have shaped your pastry, put the whole thing in the freezer for a few minutes to allow the butter to firm up. This will help it keep its shape while baking.
- Puff pastry doesn’t re-freeze well, so if you didn’t get to your recipe within a couple of days, throw it out. If you re-freeze it, it gets dry and won’t have the same texture. It also spoils very fast even in the refrigerator.
- Use an egg wash on the puff pastry to not only seal the edges if you are wrapping it around something, but to give your pastry a nice golden color.
So if you’re ready for some melt-in-your-mouth puff pastry recipes for breakfast, treat yourself and your family and friends to some of these fabulous breakfast ideas.
Berry Pastry Braid
Breakfast Puff Pastry
Broccoli, Ham and Swiss Quiche
Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
Boursin Cheese, Eggs, Prosciutto, and Arugula Salad
FAQs and tips
They are both laminated dough, but a croissant has yeast in the dough.
The egg wash will help seal the shape and it also gives it a golden brown color.
An egg wash is generally made with a whole egg or egg white and a little water mixed together.
Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry is vegan as it does not contain any butter. Other brands that are made with butter will not be vegan.
Some breakfast puff pastries can be frozen like the Berry Braid, and the cinnamon twists.
Puff pastry is best reheated in the oven. The microwave can change the texture of the pastry.
Puff pastry is found in the freezer section along with pie crusts and frozen dough.
Leave a Reply