I’ve been trying to think of something to use my frozen strawberries for other than smoothies and thought strawberry biscuits would be fun to try. Of course you can use fresh berries if it’s strawberry season. The strawberries add just enough sweetness to the biscuit and how cute are pink biscuits. Perfect for a baby shower, afternoon tea or brunch.
These are just slightly sweet so you won’t feel like you’re eating dessert. I’m feeling a little nostalgic for England and scones with jam and clotted cream. These will compete with any I’ve had before, if only we could get clotted cream.
I tried making them mini and regular size and the texture was great for both. I thought the mini ones worked perfect if you’re having a brunch and there will be other things to eat. With the large ones you can really slather on the jam and cream.
Unless you are lucky enough to live someplace where they have clotted cream, you’ll have to go with whipped cream. I can find Devonshire cream at the speciality stores, but it’s not quite the same.
How do you make perfect strawberry biscuits
I used my tried and true technique for making fluffy buttermilk biscuits for this recipe.
Step 1: Add the dry mixture to a food processor and add cold butter, processing until the butter is in small pea size chunks. Add buttermilk and chopped strawberries and pulse just until combined.
Step 2: Pat the dough into a rectangle and cut it into 4 rectangles and stack them on top of each other. Roll out and repeat this process a few times. This will help give you light and fluffy layers in your biscuit.
Step 3: Use a biscuit cutter and cut straight down without turning. This will create tall flaky biscuits.
Step 4: Freeze for 10 minutes and then brush with cream and bake.
More STRAWBERRY recipes
- Strawberry crisp bars
- Overnight strawberry french toast
- Strawberry cake with freeze dried strawberry frosting
- Strawberry cobbler topped with biscuits
- Strawberry pie
- Strawberry coffee cake
- Strawberry filled pastry
- Lemon strawberry shortcake
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 16 tablespoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen strawberries drained and smashed
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- Demerara/Turbinado sugar
- heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a food processor, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Process until combined. Add cold butter and process until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add strawberries and buttermilk and process just until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle. Cut rectangle into 4ths and stack on top of each other. Pat down into a rectangle and repeat 3 more times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2 inch round cutter cut dough without twisting. Place on prepared pan and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Brush with cream and bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.