Fresh strawberries will shine in Strawberry Coconut Crisp Bars. A little coconut adds just a hint of flavor to the oatmeal crust. They’re even better with a cream or ice cream on top.
If you’re looking for something a little different to make with fresh strawberries this spring, strawberry coconut crisp bars are sweet but not too sweet.
With a gallon of strawberries on hand, I wanted to make a dessert that wasn’t too overly indulgent and this was just right. It uses lots of strawberries but instead of just putting an oatmeal topping over the berries, you layer the strawberries between an oatmeal top and bottom.
The result is something a little more substantial than a crisp, but not quite firm enough to eat with your fingers. You can use either sweetened or unsweetened coconut in the oatmeal mixture which adds just a hint of coconut to the crispy crust but doesn’t overpower the strawberries. We tried it both warm and cold, and all agreed these were a great way to show off the wonderful strawberry season we’re having.
What’s the difference between a crisp and a cobbler
How do you make this strawberry dessert recipe
Step 1: Add some sugar and cornstarch to sliced strawberries and let them sit for a few minutes.
Step 2: Make the oatmeal mixture with oatmeal, flour, coconut and butter. Place half of it in the bottom of a pan and add strawberries to the top. Add the remaining oatmeal mixture to the top of the strawberries and bake.
Of course a scoop of ice cream was perfect or my favorite,
just a bit of heavy cream.
More STRAWBERRY desserts
- Strawberry cake
- Strawberry sheet pan pie
- Strawberries topped with biscuits
- Strawberry filled biscuits
- Strawberry breakfast braid
- Strawberry skillet cake
- Strawberry chiffon pie
- Strawberry shortcake
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Strawberry Coconut Crisp Bars
- 5 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray a 9-10” baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch. Stir to coat and let sit on the counter while making the crust.
- Stir together the remaining ingredients. Spread half of the oat mixture in the bottom of the pan. Pour the berries over the crust and use your hands to spread the rest of the mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the crust has browned and the fruit is bubbly. Serve warm or let cool completely, refrigerate and then cut into bars.