Two of my favorite fruits are combined in this Apple Blackberry Crumble. Just the right amount of sweetness that doesn’t overpower the fruit. Easy and very adaptable with fresh or frozen blackberries.
After experimenting with so many fruit cobblers and crisps this summer, I have been taking a break from fruit desserts. However, after making the Butternut Squash Crumble last week, it reminded me of one of Taylor’s favorite desserts, Apple Blackberry Crumble. A Crumble is different form a cobbler in that it has a flour based streusel on top rather than a biscuit like topping.
We can almost always get fresh blackberries in the grocery. I have no idea where they come from, and while they aren’t as sweet as when you pick them up at the farmers market, they’re still pretty good when you mix them with apples.
Fuji are my favorite whether to eat by themselves or to cook with. They’re a little tart and won’t get too mushy when cooked. This is a very simple recipe from a cookbook put out by Williams Sonoma. Simple doesn’t mean it isn’t fantastic.
How to make this simple and EASY Apple Blackberry Crumble
- Combine cold butter with flour and sugar and oatmeal, add pecans if desired.
- Combine fruit with a little sugar and flour and place in a baking dish.
- Press topping onto the top of the fruit and bake.
If you want to make individual servings, you can make this in individual ramekins, just reduce the cooking time. You can also use frozen blackberries. If you do, add them while they are still frozen.
You could add some pecans or walnuts to the crumble to give it some extra flavor and crunch, which I do of course. Otherwise, serve it warm with a little cream drizzled over the top, or be more indulgent and add a scoop of ice cream. After all you’re eating fruit, so it’s healthy.
Looking for some more APPLE recipes, here are some of my favorites
If you make Apple Blackberry Crumble, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter cut in small pieces
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups blackberries
- 3 lbs. fuji apples about 6, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup Pecans chopped
- Topping: in food processor pulse 11/2 cups flour, ¾ cup sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add oats and pulse to combine. Add pecans.
- Filling: In a bowl, combine blackberries, apples, ¾ cup sugar and ¼ cup flour
- Spread fruit filling in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Using your fingers, press topping into large clumps and scatter over fruit. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden and crisp, about 1 hour at 375º.
- Can divide fruit and topping into 8 ½ cup ramekins and bake for 30 minutes.
Barbara's Tips + Notes