You can’t ask for a more perfect fall dessert than this apple dumplings recipe. Juicy and tender apple slices wrapped in crescent rolls with a buttery brown sugar topping. A quick and easy dessert you can put together in 10 minutes with only 5 ingredients.
I’m not sure why July 5th is National Apple Turnover day when apples aren’t really in season yet. However, if you’re getting tired of peaches and blueberries, you can always find apples and this apple dumplings recipe is one that’s fabulous any time of the year.
This is a great last minute, “OMG I need to make something for dessert and I only have 10 minutes” dish. Or maybe you just don’t feel like spending any more time in the kitchen but still want something fabulous. I think it’s better than an apple turnover because each dumpling has a slice of apple so it cooks to the perfect consistency.
This is my mother-in-laws recipe and one she always loved making for the girls. You really can’t mess it up.
What is an Apple Dumpling?
An apple dumpling is a dessert that consists of an apple covered in some type of pastry.
Why you will love these Easy Apple Dumplings
- Sweet apples and flaky pastry
- It’s quick and easy to throw together
- You can’t mess it up
- Just the right amount of sweetness without being “over the top”
- Great with vanilla ice cream or by itself
Apple Dumplings Recipe ingredients
- Apples – Just 2 and any type will work. Tart apples are nice since they are covered in butter and brown sugar, but I use what I have on hand which is normally fuji or gala.
- Crescent rolls – 2 packages. The last time I made these I used Trader Joe’s brand and they were delicious. I have tried using organic crescent rolls and did not like the flavor they added.
- Brown sugar – for a gooey syrup to sweeten things up.
- Butter – because everything tastes better with butter.
- Cinnamon – a warm spice that’s a must with baked apples.
What are the best apples for apple dumplings?
Any type of apple will work, but one that is a little tart compliments the brown sugar topping. Try a granny smith for a tart apple or a fuji if you like sweeter apples.
How to make this Apple Dumpling Recipe
Peel, core and cut the apples into 16 slices.
Separate the Crescent rolls at the perforations and place an apple wedge at the wide end. Roll the dough over the apple and place in a baking dish.
Combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a saucepan and boil for 2 minutes then pour over the apples.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and serve warm with ice cream or by themselves.
That’s all there is to it, so simple and it’s pretty hard to mess up. Use whatever apple you prefer, I think an apple that’s a little tart works best. I’ll use whatever I have on hand which is generally Fuji apples but Nana always uses Granny Smith. The girls absolutely love this dessert and I’m a pretty big fan too.
Pro tip: Not sure which apples are tart, these are generally on the tart side: Granny Smith, Mcintosh, Braeburn, Pink Lady and Jonathan.
This is a great desert to make if you are in a small apartment or don’t have a lot of kitchen supplies and it’s easy enough for any beginner to pull off. If you like apple dumplings with crescent rolls, and have a little more time, try Peach Dumplings with a homemade crust.
How to store Apple Dumplings with Crescent Rolls
Can you freeze apple dumplings?
Yes, you can freeze them, just let them come to room temperature first.
Do apple dumplings need to be refrigerated?
You can prepare these in advance and refrigerate them before baking. Once cooked, they can stay out at room temperature for a day or two. After that, they should be refrigerated.
Apple Dumpling Recipe with Crescent Rolls FAQs
Let them come to room temperature if frozen and then bake in a 350º oven for about 10 minutes. In a pinch you can microwave for about 30 seconds.
Apple dumplings have been around for a long time but they became popular in the United States around Pennsylvania within the Amish communities.
Inspired to try more apple desserts
For even more apple recipes
- Grilled apples
- Apple cobbler with pomegranate seeds
- Apple cinnamon rolls
- Apple Galette
- Apple Muffins
- Apple blondies
- Apple blackberry crumble
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Apple Dumpling Recipe with Crescent Rolls
- 2 apples peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices each
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cut each apple into 8 slices. Separate the crescent rolls at perforations. Place an apple slice at the wide end and roll to the point. Place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining slices.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Pour over apple rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Tart apples work great in this apple dessert, try granny smith or fuji.
- If using a very firm apple, or your apple is very large, you may need to increase the cooking time. Test the apples with a fork.
- If the pastry is getting too brown and the apples are not soft yet, cover with tinfoil for the remaining baking time.