Chunky Banana Muffins are filled with pieces of banana instead of mashed bananas, giving them a great texture. A moist and delicious muffin, perfect for breakfast or brunch. Add some chocolate chips to make them even better.
I have issues with muffins. They’re either too sweet, or dry without any flavor. I’ve been experimenting to try to find a healthier version that I would actually enjoy eating in the morning. After several attempts, I finally settled on this chunky banana muffin which is moist, tastes like bananas and is pretty healthy.
What makes these better than most is that instead of mashing an overripe banana like you do with most muffins, I used bananas that were ready to eat, and then cut them into small chunks. This way you get the moisture from the banana but also a little texture.
If you have chocolate lovers around, add some chocolate chips with the nuts and raisins. Chocolate and bananas are such a great combination.
How long should you bake banana muffins
You need to be careful not to cook muffins too long, this is what makes them dry. I baked these for 20 minutes. My oven is pretty hot, so use the time as a guideline but check them earlier. The center should be a little sticky when you take them out of the oven. If your toothpick is completely dry, they’ll probably be overcooked.
How do you make a healthy delicious banana muffin
Step 1: Combine wheat germ, whole wheat flour and buttermilk and let it sit while creaming the butter.
Step 2: Cream butter with brown sugar and then add eggs, molasses, honey, orange zest and vanilla. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients mixing just until combined. Fold in raisin, nuts and bananas and bake until a toothpick is still just a little sticky but not wet.
The recipe makes 18 good size muffins, not too sweet, healthy and they taste awesome. I am going to try them out on my work-out group. Like most muffins, these are best eaten the day they are prepared.
To get the best taste, make sure the bananas are ripe enough to eat.
More Muffins to love
- Streusel blueberry muffins
- Pumpkin cream cheese muffins
- Sweet potato muffins
- Apple cider muffins
- Spicy pear muffins
- Strawberry almond muffins
Looking for more BANANA recipes
Chunky Banana Muffins
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter room temp
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups bananas diced
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Place paper liners into a 12 cup muffin pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the wheat germ and whole wheat flour with buttermilk and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl and add the molasses, honey, orange zest and vanilla. (The mixture will look curdled) Add the buttermilk mixture and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the batter just until combined. Don’t over mix. Fold in the raisins, bananas, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin cups to the top and bake for 20-30 minutes, check them at 20 minutes, you want to take them out before the tester comes out completely clean.