I think most of us will admit that it’s hard to come up with vegetables that everyone likes. While I love all veggies other than brussel sprouts, my gang does not. These simple veggie packs are a great way for each person to customize their vegetables. The vegetables are steamed in their packets with all the seasoning you add for a delicious and easy way to serve a healthy side.
How do you make a veggie pack in parchment paper
Step 1: Cut up an assortment of vegetables along with some herbs, garlic and lemon and let each assemble their own. It’s also a great way for everyone to be involved in the meal.
I generally start with some squash, yellow and zucchini, and add whatever is fresh from the farmers market. Asparagus, green beans, and corn are my standard additions. If you are using a firmer vegetable like carrots, slice them much thinner than the squash so that all the vegetables will be cooked the same.
Step 2: Toss the vegetables in some olive oil and add salt and pepper. The rest of the seasoning is up to you. I like mine with garlic, red pepper flakes and fresh thyme. Once you have the combination you want, place the vegetables in the middle of a piece of parchment paper that has been cut into the shape of a heart. Then add a tablespoon or so of white wine to each packet and top with some butter and a thin slice of lemon.
Step 3: Roll up the sides of the parchment starting at the top of the heart and working down to the tip. Place the packs on a cookie sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes depending on the type of vegetables. Try not to over cook them, you don’t want mushy squash.
When they come out you can serve them in the parchment themselves or slide them onto a plate. They look so elegant but are deceptively easy and a delicious way to capture all the fresh flavors of the farmers market. You can also use this same technique for a shrimp boil.
What could you serve with steamed vegetables
- Chicken with cheese and tomatoes,
- Slow cooker ribs
- Creamy steak au Poivre.
- Lemon Mustard chicken
- Pork tenderloin with cherries
- Spinach stuffed shells
- Smash burgers
- Queso chicken
- Marinated shrimp
- Grilled Tequila chicken
- 1 ½ cups fresh vegetables sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon green onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1-2 lemon thin slices
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1-2 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Slice and chop assorted vegetables and place in a bowl. Try zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, green beans, corn, peas etc.
- Add chopped green onion, garlic, hearts and salt and pepper and combine. Drizzle with olive oil just to coat. Place on heart shaped parchment paper. Add wine, red pepper flakes, lemon slices and a pat of butter.
- Fold the parchment over the vegetable pack and starting from the round side, fold a short length of the edges together and then fold again. Hold down and continue folding. Twist at the end to seal.
- Transfer to a a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450º oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on the type and thickness of your vegetables.