It’s the end of summer around here but there’s still fresh corn around. While I can’t wait for some cooler weather, I’m enjoying our long drawn out summer. Carbonara with shrimp and corn is a favorite of ours, it’s light and fresh with lots of flavor. The bacon, shrimp and corn are a great addition to a classic dish of Carbonara with Shrimp and Corn.
What is pasta carbonara
Carbonara is a classic Italian pasta dish typically made with eggs, a hard cheese like parmesan or romano and pancetta served over linguine. The egg creates a creamy sauce that’s flavored with bits of meat. Some versions also have cream in the sauce for a richer dish. It’s a dish that can be thrown together quickly and with just a few ingredients.
This version of carbonara takes a bit more planning as it has a few steps but you can do some in advance. Mike grilled the corn for me early in the day and I cooked the bacon and shrimp ahead of time. When we were ready to eat, I cooked the pasta and assembled it so there was minimal time in the kitchen when our friends arrived. You want to serve this right away.
How to make carbonara with grilled corn and shrimp
Step 1: Grill the corn and let it cool enough to remove from the cob.
Step 2: Cook the bacon and remove to a plate, reserving the bacon grease.
Step 3: Cook the shrimp and remove to a plate.
Step 4: Sauté the garlic and red pepper flakes in some of the bacon grease and then add cooked pasta.
Step 5: Whisk together eggs and parmesan and add to the pasta with a little pasta water. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the bacon, shrimp and corn back to the skillet and serve.
This makes a lot so it’s a great recipe to make for friends. Not only do you get a lot of flavor from the shrimp, grilled corn and bacon, but it looks pretty impressive for company.
With some pre-planning you can assemble this in just a few minutes and enjoy the last of summer. This is still fabulous if you don’t want to grill the corn or if frozen is all you can find. If you forgot to make plans, try shrimp and asparagus for a super quick and delicious one pan dinner.
What goes with shrimp and corn carbonara
- Tomato tart
- Ham & cheese puff pastry
- Spinach pinwheels
- Peach salsa
- Strawberry skillet cake
- Lemon chiffon pie
- Peaches in puff pastry
More recipes using fresh corn
- Grilled Corn and Blueberry Salad
- Baked Rice with Italian Sausage and Corn
- Grilled Quesadilla with Shrimp and Corn
- Shrimp Boil Packs
If you make Shrimp and Corn Carbonara, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from How Sweat Eats
Carbonara with Shrimp and Corn
- 8 slices thick sliced bacon chopped
- 1 ½ lbs raw shrimp peeled and de-veined
- salt & pepper
- 4 ears corn on the cob grilled
- 1 lb bucatini pasta
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups parmesan cheese grated
- fresh chives
- fresh basil
- Cook corn on the grill until lightly charred, or cook however you prefer. Let it cool enough to cut from the cob and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and cheese.
- Bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta per package directions, drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In a very large skillet cook bacon over medium heat. Once it is crispy, remove to a paper towel lined plate. Leave one tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan and save the rest for later in the recipe.
- Pat shrimp dry and add to the skillet, cook over medium heat until just cooked, about 3-4 minutes, transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining bacon grease back to the skillet and heat over low heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add pasta to the skillet and coat in garlic and bacon fat.
- Add egg mixture and ½ cup of pasta water to the skillet and toss quickly for about 3-4 minutes until it coats the pasta evenly. Add bacon, shrimp and corn and combine. Remove from heat and add fresh basil and chives. Serve immediately.