What’s really nice about breakfast burritos is that you can customize them so everyone can have their favorites. I find myself saving some Italian sausage, ham or bacon from other dishes and when I’m ready to make a batch of burritos, I pull out my frozen leftovers. My current favorite version has sweet potatoes and a little Italian sausage. You can keep it vegetarian and add black beans instead, anything will work.
All of your ingredients need to be fully cooked before you assemble them because you are just going to heat these up in the microwave when you’re ready to eat. I’ve found that if I take one out before I take my shower, that it thaws a bit and only takes 1 minute to cook on medium power in the microwave. If you cook them on high power, the ends tend to get much hotter than the center, so try medium power. Since every microwave is a bit different, you’ll need to experiment with how long yours will take. If completely frozen, mine take one and a half minutes on medium power. I cook them right in the plastic wrap.
If you make Breakfast Burritos, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ sweet onion Cut into thin slices
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 10 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces gruyere grated
- 8 to rtilla 10 inch
- In a large non-stick skillet, add oil and butter and heat to medium heat. Add onions and diced sweet potatoes and saute until slightly soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook an additional minute. Add spinach and cook until wilted, season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, add salt and pepper. Pour into skillet and using a rubber spatula move around until they are cooked to your liking. Remove from heat.
- Assemble tortillas with egg mixture, cheese and black beans. Roll up and eat immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and when cooled, place in a freezer bag and freeze.
- To heat, cook on medium power in microwave for 11/2 minutes, just until heated through.
- Makes 8
- For sweet pot variation. Cook 2 cups of diced sweet potatoes in 1 tbs butter until slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 of sweet onion and cook 5 minutes. Add 8 oz cheese, spinach and garlic, 1/4 cup milk to eggs.
- Flash freeze then put in ziplock.