As anyone that knows me will tell you, I’m not fond of using pre-made mixes. Generally I have all the ingredients and it only takes a couple of minutes to put it together, but for some reason this cake is a favorite in our house. The girls first had it at a family friend’s house when they were about 6 and if you asked them about it now, they would still say that Pam’s cake is the best cake in the world. It has been around for ages and is better known as “Better Than Sex Cake”.
What’s nice about a cake like this is you can’t really mess it up. It’s not going to be dry even if you bake it too long, it just can’t be when you pour sweetened condensed milk and caramel over the top.
It may be the easiest cake you ever try. You can even make it in a tiny apartment or dorm kitchen, all you need is an oven. You bake a German Chocolate Cake mix in a 9 x 13 pan, and while still hot you poke holes all over the top either with a straw, or the end of a wooden spoon. This is a lot of fun if you have little helpers around. The original recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk but I added some dulce de leche to the mix to increase the caramel flavor. There are a million variations to this cake on the internet.
If possible, refrigerate overnight. If not, at least refrigerate for an hour and serve it cold.
I’m sure you can make this without using a box mix and with real whipped cream, and maybe I’ll try that one day, but I hate to mess with perfection. I can hear the girls reaction now if I put real whipped cream on top. It would be “there’s something different about Pam’s cake, it’s not quite as good as when Pam makes it”. So for for now, I’m sticking to the boxed cake mix and Cool Whip.Print
Caramel Heath Bar Cake
Caramel Heath Bar Cake, better known as “Better Than Sex Cake”, starts with a German chocolate cake mix. Sweetened condensed milk is poured into the holes and then it’s topped with Cool Whip and crushed Heath bars. So EASY and delicious.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 30 pieces 1x
- 1 15.25 ounces German Chocolate Cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces Dulce de leche
- 8 ounces Frozen whipped topping
- ½ cup Heath bar chocolate toffee bits
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
2. Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs and mix with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
4. While cake is baking, combine sweetened condensed milk and deuce de leche. Remove cake from oven and poke holes in the top either with the end of a wooden spoon or a straw.
5. While still hot, pour caramel mixture over the top until it has all absorbed into the cake. Let cool on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least an hour, overnight is best.
6. Before serving, cover with frozen whipped topping and sprinkle with chocolate and toffee pieces.
You can make this with just 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk. If you don’t have an electric mixer, just use a whisk.