Savory Thumbprint Cookies with Bourbon Tomato Jam are the perfect appetizer for any event, great at room temperature and sure to surprise when you bite into a savory cookie filled with spicy bourbon flavored tomato jam.
What makes the PERFECT appetizer
Are you looking for an appetizer to take or serve that will taste fabulous at both the start and end of your party or get together? Look no further, Savory Thumbprint Cookies fall into the “perfect appetizer” category, easy to make ahead and freeze and you just put them out with no re-heating or warming required. Of course the first criteria for a “perfect appetizer” is the taste. These are amazing and will totally surprise your friends. They look like a traditional sweet thumbprint cookie with jam filling. Instead, the cookie itself is a cheese wafer but since you add a softer cheese, it holds its shape and won’t crumble like most cheese wafers. Throw in a bit of jalapeño to give it a slight tang, if you want a bigger kick add the seeds. Next for the Bourbon Tomato Jam!
You could stop right there as cheese wafers are great by themselves, but take a little more time and make this bourbon infused tomato jam, you won’t be disappointed. It makes more than you need for the cookies so you’ll have some left over.
What else can you do with Bourbon Tomato Jam
- Try it on crackers with some goat cheese
- It’s great spread on a burger
- Just right on a Biscuit
- Spice up your breakfast and spread it on toast
I’ve never made tomato jam, but it’s so easy and you can adjust the sugar depending on how sweet your tomatoes are. Also the juicer the tomatoes, the longer you’ll need to let the jam cook. Cook it until it’s the consistency of jam which can be anywhere from 8 to 20 minutes.
This recipe might seem to be complicated with a couple of steps and refrigeration needed, but it’s well worth it. They freeze wonderfully. If you want to make them less spicy, you can just adjust the amount of red pepper flakes in the jam or eliminate the jalapeño in the cookie. I liked them with a little spice though, it makes them more interesting. Don’t forget the bourbon. Three tablespoons might seem like a lot, but I didn’t think it was overwhelming at all. If you’re hesitant, start with a tablespoon and add a little at a time. Then just add the Bourbon Tomato Jam to the Savory Thumbprint cookies and bake. Let cool and serve right away or freeze for later.
More MAKE AHEAD appetizers!
Adapted from The Flavor Bender
Savory Thumbprint Cookies
Savory Thumbprint Cookies with Bourbon Tomato Jam are the perfect appetizer for any event, great at room temperature and sure to surprise when you bite into a savory cookie filled with spicy bourbon flavored tomato jam.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese grated
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese grated
- 1-2 tablespoon jalapeno seeds removed
- 1-2 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup semolina flour
- 1 lb 2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons vidalia onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- In a food processor, grate the cheese, then add the rosemary and jalapeño and pulse until fine.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cheese mixture and egg and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flours and add to cheese mixture. Mix until if forms a dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. If you refrigerate it longer, let it warm up a bit so that it is easy enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form dough into 1 tablespoon balls and make an indention in the center. I used the back of a melon scoop. Fill with Bourbon Tomato Jam.
- Bake for 20 minutes until they are slightly golden brown.
- Makes 40
BOURBON TOMATO JAM
- Mix all ingredients except bourbon in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to boil crushing tomatoes with a spoon as they soften. Cook for about 8 -20 minutes until it is thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat and add bourbon. Let cool before placing in cookies. (this will make more than you need for the cookies)
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 27mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg