What is Chicken Piccata
How do you make Chicken Piccata
How do you serve Chicken Piccata
Angel hair pasta is my pasta of choice for Chicken Piccata. You just want something to absorb some of the lemon caper sauce and a heavy pasta is better for a tomato or cream sauce. Of course, any will work, so use what’s in your pantry, but if purchasing just for this dish, I would pick angel hair. If you’re more of a potato person, then try it over mashed potatoes.
Not only is Chicken Piccata delicious, quick and easy to prepare, but it’s pretty healthy. Win win for everyone!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 lemons
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Cut chicken breast in half crosswise, then cut the thick half in half again horizontally so that you have 3 equal pieces. Repeat for all four breasts. Place between plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thickness. Place in a bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Half lemon lengthwise. Trim off the ends of 1 half and cut it again lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin 1/4 inch slices. Set aside and juice remaining lemons to yield 3 tablespoons juice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place flour in a pie plate and dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess and place in hot skillet. Place 6 pieces in the skillet and turn down the heat to medium. Cook until brown, 2-3 minutes and flip and cook the other side. Remove to wire rack. Add 2 tablespoons oil and once heated, add the rest of the chicken. Remove to wire rack.
- If needed add 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet and add shallots. Cook until softened and add garlic, cook an additional minute. Add broth, lemon juice and lemon slices and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken to the pan and simmer for about 4 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove chicken to a platter.
- If sauce is not thickened, cook an additional minute. Then remove from heat and add butter and capers. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over chicken.