Chocolate Pecan Slab Pie
Chocolate Pecan Slab Pie is a fabulous way to feed a crowd. You get all the yummy flavors without the hassle of a pie. Cut this in tiny squares for a bite-size dessert or in larger squares and top with ice-cream. A holiday or pot-luck favorite.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: dessert
- 3 ¾ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups butter, 3 sticks, very cold
- ¾ cups very cold water
- 3 ⅔ cups pecan halves, toasted
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 ⅔ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 5 eggs
- 1 egg plus 1 tsp water
Add flour, salt and sugar to food processor. Cut butter into 1 inch pieces and add to food processor. Pulse until the butter is pea size. Add water and pulse until it just comes together. Put onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Cut in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use but at least 15 minutes in the freezer.
2. Roll out one of the dough balls into an 18 x 13 inch rectangle. Place this in a 10 x 15 inch rimmed baking sheet draping some over the sides. Place in freezer until it is cold.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chunks and cream on medium power until just melted stirring every 30 seconds, for about 1-2 minutes. Spread over prepared pie crust and smooth with an offset spatula. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes.
4. FILLING: Add butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes until the brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add pecans, vinegar, vanilla and bourbon. Pour into a bowl to let it cool. When cool to touch, add eggs stirring after each one until well incorporated. Pour onto chilled chocolate layer.
5. Roll out second ball of dough and either place it over the top or cut it into strips to make a lattice design. Brush with an egg wash of 1 egg and 1 teaspoon water.
6. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is starting to bubble. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.