It seems that people complain most about the texture of gluten free baked goods so I wasn’t sure if I could get the light and fluffy texture that I love in a biscuit without using wheat flour. However, by adding eggs and using the same technique I use for regular biscuits I created perfect biscuits that any Southerner would be proud of and you would never know they were gluten free.
How do you make gluten free biscuits
Step 1: Start with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour and add to a food processor with baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add cold butter and process until the butter is pea size.
Step 2: Add eggs along with buttermilk and cheese to the food processor and process just until it comes together.
Step 3: Dump it out onto a lightly floured surface and press it together and form into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into fourths and stack them on top of each other. Roll out and repeat three times.
Step 4: Roll it into a 1 inch rectangle and use a biscuit cutter to cut straight down, don’t twist. Place on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper and freeze for 10 minutes. Top with an egg wash and bake.
If you’re trying to eat gluten free or just trying to accommodate someone who is, give these biscuits a try, you’ll have light and fluffy biscuits and no one will be the wiser.
Looking for gluten free recipes with almond flour
- Almond flour and egg whites make a delicious focaccia.
- Try some cheesy muffins
- Use almond flour in sausage balls
Gluten Free Biscuits
You might think that you can’t get a light and fluffy gluten free biscuit, but with a few easy adaptions, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-15 1x
- 3 ½ cups gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour, Bob’s Red Mill
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 egg, for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 425º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. 2. In a food processor, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Process until combined. Add cold butter and process until it resembles coarse meal.
3. Add buttermilk, eggs and cheese and process lightly just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle. Cut into 4ths and stack each fourth on top of each other. Pat into a rectangle and repeat 3 more times.
4. Pat or roll dough to 1 inch thickness. Using a 21/2 inch round cutter, cut dough without twisting. Place on prepared pan and freeze for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from freezer. Beat egg and cream together in a small bowl. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with pepper.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.