Hurricane Florence is coming to our area and what could be better than a mug of thick chunky soup while we are glued to the weather channels. Hurricane or not, this soup is a great meal for the cooler nights that we are hoping will come soon.
While the Instant Pot allows all the flavors to blend together in just a few minutes, to get the great flavor you are looking for in a soup or chili, it helps to cook things in stages. You’ll start in the Sauté mode cooking the bacon first, removing it, and then cooking the onions. Next you’ll add the corn, peppers and potatoes and let it cook under pressure. Then it’s back to the Sauté mode where you add the milk and cheese.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
Chunky Instant Pot Corn Chowder flavored with bacon and chipotle peppers is just what you need for the cooler fall weather. Just a few steps in the Instant Pot and it tastes like it has been simmering all day.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: soup
- 6 thick sliced bacon, chopped
- ½ vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups corn, about 4 ears
- 1 potato , cut into cubes
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobe, diced
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
1. Set Instant Pot to Saute. Add chopped bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of grease. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes until softened, then add garlic, corn kernels, potatoes, and chipotle chilies and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken broth and stir to combine. Cover and select Manual setting and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. (It will take a few minutes for the Instant Pot to get to high pressure)
2. Use the quick release function to release the steam. Transfer half to a bowl and pulse with an emersion blender until chunky smooth, or place in blender to to the same. Return to the instant pot.
3. Set the Instant Pot to Saute and stir in milk and cheese. Cook until the cheese mils and the chowder starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add cilantro. Serve topped with green onions.