Try some roasted New Potatoes with Crispy Onions for a spectacular side dish that’s easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner.
Why New Potatoes with Crispy Onions are the perfect side dish
- Crispy edges
- They are infused with flavor from the onions
- You can adjust the portion size where you can’t with a baked potato
- You only need one pan
- They taste heavenly
New potatoes are my “go to” side for summer dinners. They don’t seem as heavy as a baked potato, they are easy to roast and don’t require much pre-planning. I love potatoes with brown crispy edges. Normally I just cut them up, toss in a little olive oil and rosemary and bake them, easy peasy. These are just as easy but have the added flavor of roasted onion and some fresh herbs.
For the onion I used a vidalia since we can get them this time of year but I’ve also used yellow onions. I love the sweet mild flavor they add. A vidalia onion is a sweet onion grown in the State of Georgia.
How do you make roasted new potatoes and onions
Step 1: You don’t really need to measure anything for these fabulous potatoes. Sprinkle some rosemary and thyme on the bottom of an oiled baking sheet and cover it with slices of onion. The more onion the better, I a large onion so that the slices completely cover the bottom of the rimmed pan.
Step 2: Cut miniature new potatoes in half or if using regular size new potatoes, cut them into smaller pieces. Toss the cut new potatoes with oil and salt and place them cut side down on the onions. The onion flavor seeps into the potatoes as they bake and both become crispy brown. Don’t worry if the onions get black they are still great.
More potato recipes!
- The crunchiest potatoes
- Bite size potato skins
- Crushed and Roasted potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Easy smashed potatoes
- Roasted potato salad
- Scalloped potatoes
How long does it take to roast new potatoes
If you cut new potatoes into quarters, or mini potatoes in half, it should only take about 30-40 minutes to get cripsy edges. Start checking on them around 20 minutes.
If you like potatoes, here are some potato dinner recipes:
- Ranch Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes, for a quick and easy one pan dinner.
- Lemon Chicken with Roasted Potatoes is an all time favorite.
- Mustard chicken with potatoes are full of flavor.
If you make New Potatoes with Crispy Onions, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
New Potatoes with Crispy onions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 lb small new potatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons rosemary and thyme chopped
- 1 large vidalia onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup chives and tarragon mixture of these chopped
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450º. Oil a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Sprinkle rosemary and thyme on the bottom of baking sheet, spread the onion slices over the herbs, and top with potatoes cut side down. Scrape any olive oil remaining in the bowl over the potatoes.
- Roast until the potatoes are tender and brown on the edges, 30-35 minutes. transfer the potatoes and onions to a bowl and toss with the remaining herbs. Season to taste with sea salt.