One Pot Macaroni and Cheese
What you’ll need to make baked macaroni and cheese
How do you make ONE POT Macaroni and Cheese
Step 1: In a food processor add the cottage cheese, milk, and seasonings and blend until it’s smooth. Add all but 1/4 cup of the cheese and blend a little more, just to combine.
Step 2: Dump the cheese mixture into an oven proof pan and add the UNCOOKED pasta and stir to combine.
Step 3: Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Step 4: Uncover and STIR and top with a little butter and 1/4 cup cheese and continue to bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
To mix this together, you can use a food processor, blender or emersion blender. If you don’t have any of those you can use a hand mixer or in a pinch, just stir with a spoon. So if you’re in a tiny apartment and don’t have room for a food processor or blender, it might not be quite as creamy but it will still be delicious.
For the cheese combination, I like a mild and a sharp cheddar, it gives it the traditional macaroni and cheese taste.
This will need to cook for about an hour but the prep time is minimal and your house/apartment will smell wonderful.
FAQ’s and TIPS for the best homemade macaroni and cheese
If you don’t have a food processor or just don’t feel like pulling it out, use an emersion blender or regular blender or even a hand mixer. Don’t have any of these handy, then just mix with a spoon, still delicious!
You can easily freeze any leftovers. Just warm in oven or even in the microwave.
I like a combination of sharp and mild cheddar but any combination will work. If you want it creamier, then add some American.
In a pinch you can use pre-packaged cheese but it is coated with something to keep it from sticking together which also keeps it from melting as well so try to avoid it in this recipe.
An elbow or shell are the traditional pastas used for macaroni and cheese but I also like the ear shaped orecchiette.
Looking for some more ONE POT meals
- Sloppy Joes with cornbread
- Taco spaghetti
- Chili with cheesy grits
- Guinness beef pie
- Tex-Mex chicken and rice
One Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese grated
- 8 ounces elbow pasta uncooked
- Preheat oven to 375º. Butter a baking 9 inch round or square baking dish.
- In a food processor or blender, mix together 1 tablespoon butter, cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper until well blended. Once blended, add all but 1/4 cup cheese and blend just a bit more.
- Pour into a large bowl and add uncooked pasta. Combine and pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with 1 tablespoon of butter. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Don’t forget to stir this half way through.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix with an emersion blender or hand mixer or just stir.
- You can freeze left-overs and reheat in microwave or oven.
- If you want it even more gooey, add some American cheese to the mix.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.