I’ve been experimenting with some gluten free recipes lately for a dinner I’m having where a friend can’t eat gluten, and have had numerous failures before perfecting focaccia with almond flour. Generally I have a pretty good idea if something is going to turn out or not and after a few additions here or there can come up with a recipe I like. However, this has not been true with gluten free baked goods. I’m still trying to come up with a good combination of flours and thickeners to get the best consistency. Once I get the ingredient ratio I like, I still have to make things multiple times to figure out the best technique. It has been challenging and I have finally given up on a few things.
This recipe for focaccia with almond flour is not one of the failures, although I’ve made it five times now working out the best combination and technique to make this truly amazing. Hopefully you can avoid my mistakes and make it perfect the first time.
What is Focaccia Bread
What is Xanthan Gum
How to make gluten free rosemary focaccia bread with almond flour
Step 1: Combine a good quality olive oil with fresh rosemary and salt.
Step 2: Combine the dry ingredients and add milk stirring until smooth.
Step 3: Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks.
Step 4: Gently fold in egg whites and place in a glass baking dish.
Step 5: Press the tips of your fingers into the top of the dough and drizzle with olive oil mixture and bake.
TIPS for making the BEST almond flour focaccia
- Beat the egg whites until they are very stiff. If you hold a spoonful upside down, they should stay on the spoon.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the very stiff dough. This may seem impossible, but be patient and use a rubber spatula to gently incorporate the egg whites into the dough.
- Bake in a glass baking dish if possible.
- Use a good quality olive oil for the top, otherwise you can get a bitter taste.
Looking for more LOW CARB GLUTEN FREE recipes
- Sausage Balls with Almond Flour may be better than the original
- Cheesy Muffins are great for dinner or breakfast
- For a hearty breakfast, try Sausage Bagel Muffins
- Try a Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
Low Carb dinner ideas
- Queso chicken
- Chicken with tomatoes and cheese
- Marsala steak
- Stuffed peppers with cauliflower rice
- Tequila chicken
- Sun dried tomato chicken
If you make Focaccia with Almond Flour, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Adapted from The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking
Focaccia with Almond Flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites room temp (5 ounces)
- 1 cup whole milk/almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a 9 x 13 glass baking pan with parchment paper and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Combine the oil, rosemary and salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add milk to flour mixture and stir to make a smooth batter, Gently fold in the egg whites, trying to keep it as light and fluffy as possible. The dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough in the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Dip your fingers into the olive oil mixture and make dimples in the dough. Pour the remaining olive oil over the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.