This simple one pot Southwest Chicken and Rice can be made start to finish in forty minutes. Enchilada sauce, Rotel tomatoes and taco seasoning form the Tex-Mex flavors in this delicious weeknight recipe.
If you’re looking for more simple and delicious meals, join the newsletter and receive a FREE e-book with 10 EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER recipes.
Southwestern Chicken and rice is a take on arroz con pollo, or ACP. If you live in the South and have been to any Mexican restaurant, you will see ACP on the menu. It’s a bland dish with Spanish rice and chicken covered in a cheese sauce. While I love Mexican and Southwestern food, my kids only order ACP at Mexican restaurants. I was convinced that I could make a recipe that was both simple enough for them to make on a busy weeknight but with enough flavor that I would like it.
Why you’re going to love this Southwest Chicken and Rice Recipe
- It tastes fabulous with tons of flavor
- It can be made in one pot for easy clean up
- It’s one of the easiest recipes you’ll find
- The recipe uses rotisserie chicken
I’ve read that ACP is a phenomena in the South and that you won’t find it in other areas of the country. For some reason southerners like bland chicken and rice. I for one do not!
What is arroz con pollo
Arroz con pollo, better known as ACP is thought to have originated in Spain, variations are seen not only in Spain but in Latin America and Puerto Rico. It’s typically Spanish rice with green peppers and chicken. The type served in Mexican restaurants in the South has very little flavor.
This Southwest chicken and rice recipe is so much better than any ACP I’ve tried. If you like a good chicken and rice casserole, then you’re going to love this oven baked recipe.
What ingredients will you need for this simple chicken recipe
You can add other vegetables like frozen peas but my crew only likes corn.
How do you make baked Southwest chicken and rice
Step 1: Cook the rice with chicken broth per the package directions. You can use any type of rice you want but I would not recommend the 10 minute type. If you have an oven proof pot, bake the rice in it. If not, this will be a two pot recipe.
Step 2: Add all the ingredients except the cheese to the rice and stir to combine then top with cheese, either cheddar or pepper jack.
Step 3: Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
If you love queso then this is even better with some drizzled over the top. Make this easy creamy queso or pick some up in the refrigerated section at the grocery.
Can you freeze oven baked Southwest Chicken and Rice
Chicken and rice will freeze great for leftover lunches or dinner. The recipe is enough for about eight servings. Once thawed, it can be reheated in the microwave.
When preparing this recipe, I realized that I don’t have any chicken and rice recipes on the blog. I serve apricot chicken over rice, but I don’t have a chicken and rice recipe in my rotation. It’s such a great comfort food especially on cold nights. I think I’m going to give Iowa Girl Eat’s chicken and rice recipe a try and this baked chicken and rice using chicken thighs from Cafe Delites sounds delicious.
If you’re looking for more QUICK and EASY weeknight dinners, here are a few suggestions
- Queso chicken is a blog favorite with queso, rotel tomatoes and cheese
- Crispy parmesan chicken fingers are so much better than take out
- One pot taco spaghetti with ground beef or chicken, easy and no mess to clean up
- There’s not too many dinners that are easier than shrimp boil packs
More Tex-Mex recipes
- Chicken enchiladas with queso
- Spicy quesadillas with chicken and mango
- Everyone needs a go-to queso dip
- Try some baked chicken taquitos for a healthier dinner
If you make Southwest Chicken and Rice, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Southwest Chicken and Rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 10 ounces rotel tomatoes and chilies drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 shredded chicken breasts about 2 cups
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese grated
- green onions optional
- Cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cook rice per package instructions using chicken broth instead of water. If you have an oven proof pan with a lid make the rice in it.
- Once rice has cooked, add all ingredients except the cheese to the rice and combine. If not in an oven proof pan, place in one. Spread cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and top with green onions and cilantro