White Queso Dip is a creamy and smooth cheese dip, like the ones served in Mexican restaurants. Fabulous as a dip with chips or as a cheese sauce. Make this in 15 minutes and it will stay creamy for the entire game!
This amazing white queso dip is my go-to dip to make for game day or for Taco Tuesdays. Made with real cheese it will keep its creamy texture for hours. This Mexican cheese dip is the best queso I’ve found, even better than what you will typically find at most Mexican restaurants. Of course it’s great all by itself with tortilla chips but try serving it over chicken enchiladas or queso chicken.
Most cheese dips will get thick and gooey and difficult to dip a chip into as it cools, not this creamy queso dip. The trick for getting a creamy melty texture is using American cheese. That doesn’t mean you need to use Velveeta, go with a good quality American cheese and you’ll love how it makes the sauce creamy and smooth. You can use either white or orange American cheese. If you can’t find it in the cheese section, have them cut a block for you at the deli.
Tips for making the best queso dip
- Make sure at least some of the cheese is American cheese, this is what keeps it creamy. For the best American cheese, buy it from the deli at the grocery. For more information on American Cheese check out this article.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese, it will not melt as well.
- Use half-and-half or at least whole milk.
What do you need to make homemade cheese dip
You just need a few ingredients for this fabulous dip, butter, an onion, garlic, cornstarch and half-and-half for the bechamel sauce. To that you’ll add white American cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, diced hatch chilies and a pinch of cayenne. If you want it spicy, add a jalapeño.
How do you make a white queso dip
You can make this dip, start to finish, in about 15 minutes.
Step 1: For the bechamel sauce you will sauté some onions and garlic, add a little cornstarch and then slowly add the half-and-half until it’s slightly thickened.
Step 2: Add the cheese to the bechamel and once melted add the hatch chilies and salt and pepper and cayenne.
If you have any left over, you can refrigerate and just heat up in the microwave. You can also freeze it for later.
More APPETIZER ideas for Game day
- Sausage balls are always a big hit, make them the regular way or with almond flour
- A bowl of roasted nuts with sage when you want to have a healthier option, but be prepared for them to go fast
- Try some bacon wrapped dates or bacon wrapped chicken bites
- Grab some puff pastry and make French onion bites or mini croque monsieurs
- Super easy mushroom bites
- Always a favorite, Buffalo wings
- Potato skins you can eat with your fingers
Need more dip ideas
If you make Queso Dip, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups White American cheese 12 ounces, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese 4 ounces, grated
- 4 ounces diced hatch chilies drained
- ¼ teaspoons cayenne
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onions until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add cornstarch and whisk for 1 minutes. Gradually add half-and-half whisking constantly until incorporated. Let it come to a boil and then turn down heat.
- Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Add diced hatch chilies. Add cayenne if desired and salt and pepper to taste.