With only 15 minutes of prep time, Slow Cooker Beef Tacos are perfect for a quick weeknight meal or if you need to feed a crowd. Full of flavor all by themselves but even better with pineapple mango salsa.
I have to admit that I don’t always have the best of luck with food cooked in my slow cooker. It seems like it’s overcooked and sometimes the result is just blah meat. The house always smells great but the end product is disappointing. This smokey flavored beef is definitely a winner, not overcooked or mushy. The chipotle peppers and adobe sauce add just enough flavor without being too spicy and were great with just a few toppings, beef tacos are the best. Plus your house will smell fabulous when you walk in the door.
This took me about 15 minutes to prep and then I just left it for 10 hours. To prep it, I braised the meat, which I think adds a ton of flavor, then you just place the roast on top of the sauce in the slow cooker. When it was done I shredded the beef with a fork and had the perfect base for taco night. This is so easy and simple for a weeknight dinner when you’re not sure when everyone will be home.
You can add any of your favorite toppings. I kept it simple and used the pineapple/mango salsa from Whole Foods. Of course you can make your own, but I’m not sure it would be any better than theirs. For me, it’s not very economical to make pineapple/mango salsa unless you are going to either eat a lot of it, or you have something else to do with the left over pineapple and mangos.
Since there were only four of us for dinner, I opted for Whole Foods, it’s sweet from the fruit with just a hint of heat from the jalapeños. I also drizzled a little queso on top, because you can’t have tacos without cheese. The best thing about taco night is that everyone can be as picky as they want and choose their own toppings.
Not only is this great for a busy weeknight but it’s a nice choice if you’re having friends over and don’t want to fuss over dinner.
Adapted from How Sweat EatsPrint
Slow Cooker Beef Tacos
With only 15 minutes of prep time, Slow Cooker Beef Tacos are perfect for a quick week night meal or if you need to feed a crowd. Full of flavor all by themselves but even better with pineapple mango salsa.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 hours
- Total Time: 10 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 1 small onion, 1 cup diced
- 3 tablespoons adobe sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon gloves
- For the sauce, add garlic, peppers, onions, adobo sauce, vinegar, lime juice, cumin, oregano and cloves in the food processor and blend until combined. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Once hot, add meat and sear on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Place seared meat over sauce in slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until beef falls apart.
- Remove and shred with a fork. Place in tortillas and add toppings.