Apple Cobbler with Sweet Potato Biscuits is a delicious cobbler topped with sweet potato biscuits. The slightly sweet biscuits taste even better when combined with apples, raisins and nuts. This is a great recipe if you’re feeding a crowd.
If you’re tired of traditional apple pie and cobblers, Apple Cobbler with Sweet Potato Biscuits is a great dish to try during the winter months. What makes this different from a standard apple cobbler are the sweet potato biscuits. Seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and a little brown sugar, they are amazing all by themselves. However, when combined with caramelized apples, raisins and toasted pecans, you get an amazing dish.
What makes this apple dessert a cobbler
A cobbler is a fruit dessert that is topped with a biscuit like topping, like Lime Coconut Blueberry Cobbler, Strawberry Cobbler. A crisp on the other hand has a streusel topping like Rhubarb and Berry Crisp, or Bumbleberry Crisp. It can be hard to choose. If you are leaning toward an Apple Crisp, then here’s a simple recipe. If on the other hand, you love a good biscuit, then give this apple cobbler with sweet potato biscuits a try.
What are the best types of apples to use for an apple cobbler recipe
I always suggest using apples that you like to eat, my favorites are fuji, honey crisp, gala and pink lady. If you want to mix things up then try using more than one type. You might want to try a sweeter apple like a golden delicious mixed with a more tart apple like a granny smith.
How do you make Apple Cobbler with Sweet Potato Biscuits
This is an easy recipe to make and is great if you are feeding a large group. You can easily half the recipe and it will fit in a deep dish pie pan. The biscuit dough needs to refrigerate so make sure you plan for this. Both the apples and the biscuit dough can be prepared in advance and then just assembled before you are ready to bake it.
Step 1: Make the biscuit dough first since it needs to refrigerate. You will need about three sweet potatoes, enough so that you have 11/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes. Microwave the sweet potatoes for about 8-10 minutes until soft. Then let cool, remove the skins and mash. Add to your biscuit dough and refrigerate.
Step 2: Prepare the filling. Slice the apples and combine with sugar and spices and let sit. While waiting, add hot water to the raisins to plump. Cook the apple mixture in a skillet until they soften, then add raisins and pecans and pour into a large baking dish or two deep dish pie pans.
Step 3: Roll out the biscuits and add to the top of the filling. brush with cream and sanding sugar. I love using a biscuit cutter with a scalloped edge for a more interesting shape, you can find them here. If you don’t have a biscuit cutter then use a glass, just remember to cut straight down and not turn the cutter when you are cutting the biscuit dough. (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful)
Step 4: Bake for about 45 minutes until the biscuits are cooked and the filling is bubbly. If you are looking for cute baking dishes, I got this one a few years ago at Anthropologie and I use it all the time. They change the designs every year but always have cute ones.
While I halved the recipe for the cobbler, I made the entire biscuit recipe and ate the remaining for dinner. They were pretty yummy without the cobbler!
Do you LOVE APPLES as much as me, here are some more apple recipes
If you make Apple Cobbler with Sweet Potato Biscuits, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Apple Cobbler with Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 3 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 cups fuji apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins plumped by soaking in hot water until soft
- 1 ½ cups toasted pecans
SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
- 3 medium sweet potatoes 1 1/2 cups mashed
- 1 ⅓ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sanding sugar
- Mix together sugars, cornstarch, and spices until evenly combined. Toss with apples and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place in a large pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until apples start to soften and bubble. Add salt. Add plumped raisins and pecans and stir to combine. Remove from heat and refrigerate or pour into casserole dish. and top with biscuits and bake.
Sweet Potato Biscuits:
- Cook potatoes in microwave for about 10 minutes until soft. Let cool and remove skins and mash well. You need 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add brown sugar, cut butter into flour mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- Mix in sweet potatoes, add heavy cream and form into a dough ball. Wrap in plastic and place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll onto a floured surface to about 3/4 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut into 16 pieces and place on top of the apple mixture. Brush with cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.