English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches are a great breakfast when you have a crowd. Egg salad on top of an English muffin then toasted with gooey cheese and sprinkled with bacon for a delicious way to start your morning.
I love breakfast quiche and french toast, but on Thanksgiving morning, I want something not quite so heavy and something easy for everyone to grab, like an English muffin breakfast sandwich. A quick and easy breakfast that you can prepare ahead of time.
I’m not sure what it is about an English muffin that’s so good, the taste is unique and the texture is great for holding a filling. Add some egg salad, cheese and bacon and you have all the flavors you love in an Egg McMuffin. It’s a great breakfast sandwich that your family can easily adapt.
You can add just a little or pile it on, leave off the bacon or add extra cheese. If you have non egg lovers, they can make a bacon and cheese sandwich. I like an English muffin sandwich warm, but they are still delicious at room temperature.
What is an English muffin breakfast sandwich
Basically this is egg salad on an English muffin that is topped with cheese and bacon and then toasted. The muffin is crispy and the egg salad is warm with gooey cheese on top and of course bacon!
If you like egg salad sandwiches on toasted bread, then you’re going to love this egg sandwich topped with bacon and cheese.
Why you’ll love it
- This is a protein filled breakfast that will keep everyone happy until the big meal!
- Easy to prepare, you can feed a crowd quickly without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
- Everyone loves a hot gooey, cheesy, bacon breakfast
- Easy to prep the egg mixture ahead of time and broil when ready to serve.
What you’ll need for an English muffin breakfast
- English muffins – these are sturdy enough to hold the filling without falling apart, but you can toast or biscuits instead, you just might need a fork.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Cheese – cheddar or your favorite variety, mix some with the egg salad and the rest goes on top.
- Bacon – totally optional but everyone loves bacon!
- Mayonnaise – this is used to make the egg salad,
- Seasonings – mustard, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce
How do you prepare a make ahead breakfast sandwich
Step 1: – make some egg salad
Boil some eggs and chop the eggs.
Add in the mayonnaise and seasoning. I like sweet pickles in my egg salad, but I wouldn’t add it to this recipe, I think it would be weird heated. This can be made days ahead of time.
Step 2: – fry some bacon
Cook the bacon and grate the cheese.
Step 3: – assemble and broil
In the morning let everyone assemble their muffin and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes. (Do not place the muffins on parchment paper, it will burn and possibly catch on fire when it’s close to the broiler)
Pro tip: To create a delicious variation, add some spicy cheese like pepper jack or cheddar with peppers to the top of your eggs before broiling.
I should start by saying that Natalie hates eggs, but she will eat them hard boiled. So this was perfect for her. We prepared the topping the night before and when we were ready to eat, we just spread it on an English muffin and put it in the toaster oven.
They are delicious, not too heavy and required no effort on Thanksgiving morning and everyone could toast theirs when they got up.
These are perfect if you have a house full of people and don’t want to fuss in the kitchen all morning. Of course they would also be great if you are having breakfast for dinner.
FAQ and tips
Can breakfast melts be made ahead of time?
Boiling your eggs and preparing the egg salad in advance saves time when you’re ready to assemble the sandwiches. You can prepare this the night before and enjoy in the morning.
Can I toast an English muffin in a frying pan?
We are broiling our english muffins so if you don’t have a broiler, you can add your English muffin melt to a pan and place the cover on top, allowing the heat trapped inside to melt the cheese for you. The muffin will not be toasted though, just warm.
Can you cook an English muffin in the microwave?
You can prepare your English muffin breakfast melt and place it in the microwave beginning at 30 seconds until the cheese is melted. You wont get toasted muffins, but it will still taste yummy.
More breakfast ideas
Egg breakfasts you’ll love
- Try some eggs baked in prosciutto cups for a low carb option
- Make an apple and sausage pie
- Hide some eggs in puff pastry
- Enjoy a low carb breakfast with baked eggs and mushrooms.
- Put together a sweet and savory sweet potato frittata for breakfast or brunch.
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 6 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 4 English muffins split muffins
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Add chopped eggs and cheese and stir until just combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Open an English muffin and top with extra cheese and bacon pieces if desired. Place on the middle rack in the oven. Broil for 3-4 minutes, until cheese melts and muffins are slightly toasted. Watch carefully.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Prep the egg mixture ahead of time and broil the melts when ready to serve, perfect for when you’re hosting guests.
- Substitute a spicy cheese for a variation of a breakfast melt.
- You can also use prepared egg salad and add in some cheese.
- Don’t use parchment paper as it could catch on fire.
Leave a Reply