Baked gnocchi with chicken is an EASY dinner you can put together quickly. With rotisserie chicken and packaged gnocchi, it’s a great weeknight dinner you can have on the table in 30 minutes.
Taylor dropped in for dinner last weekend, I love that she is close enough to do that when she needs a break from college food. Her friends have learned that there is always food at our house and have been coming over with her which is so much fun for us. As your kids get older, you don’t really get to know their friends. Food is a great way to bring people together. Taylor loves all of the ingredients in this dish so I was hoping she would like it as she can be a bit picky!. Nothing to worry about here, we all loved it and she took the leftovers home with her.
How do you make a roux
She wanted to know how hard it was to make. It’s very easy. If you are a novice cook, the only thing that you have to do other than mix the ingredients together, is make a roux. There is no reason to be intimidated by this. You need to heat butter in a skillet, sprinkle flour over it, and whisk for about a minute. Once the flour is incorporated into the butter, you can slowly add the liquid, whisking continuously.
It will sizzle to start when you add the liquid and look a little lumpy, but just keep gradually adding the liquid and continue to whisk until there are no lumps. If you add all the liquid at one time, it will eventually thicken but it will be a smoother and tastier roux if you add the liquid slowly. Once all the liquid has been incorporated, let it thicken to the desired thickness. This is how you make any roux whether you are making gravy for Thanksgiving or a white sauce. Generally you want equal amounts of flour and butter. This process will generally take about 10 minutes.
How do you make baked gnocchi with chicken
Step 1: First sauté the mushrooms and then remove from the skillet.
Step 2: In the same skillet make a roux with butter, flour, milk and chicken broth. Once thickened add the chicken, gnocchi and spinach and let it cook until the spinach has wilted.
Step 3: Sprinkle with cheese and bake until bubbly.
You can make this in advance and just put it in the oven 15 minutes before you’re ready to serve it.
More skillet dinners
If you make Baked Gnocchi with Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Baked Gnocchi with Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ rotisserie chicken skin removed and meat shredded
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach loosely packed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth until smooth. Simmer, whisking constantly until slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 teaspoon salt and nutmeg.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, gnocchi and spinach and stir until coated and the spinach wilts. Sprinkle with cheese, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. If not browned, you can turn on the broiler for a few minutes.