Tater Tot Casserole has a Tex-Mex flare with taco flavored ground beef covered with crispy tater tots. Even your picky eaters will love this casserole.
What is it about tater tots that make them so amazing! So much better than French fries in my book, it’s just a childhood classic. You can get them as a side at one of our local restaurants, Lindley Park Filling Station, and they are everyone’s favorite. My go-to for tater tots are the frozen Alexia Tater Tots, they are always fresh and they make both sweet potato and regular. Taylor loves the sweet potato version and Natalie, the regular so what was I to do but use both for this Tater Tot Casserole when they were home at Christmas. Everyone was happy.
What ingredients are in Tater Tot Casserole
Other than crispy delicious tater tots, you will need hamburger, some sweet and spicy peppers, taco seasoning, corn and cheese. The base is a spicy Tex-Mex hamburger mixture with some corn and a bit of pepper jack cheese mixed in. You need the tots to cool down the jalapeños. We loved the hamburger mixture as much as the potato topping, but combine the two and it’s awesome.
How do you make a Tater Tot Casserole
This is such an easy recipe to put together, and one you will want to add to your weeknight rotation. First, brown your hamburger with onions and peppers and add the seasoning, corn and 1/2 the cheese. Next, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and add your tater tots and bake. You can do this all in one pan!
Apparently in the Midwest folks have tater tot casseroles all the time. My mother never served anything with tater tots on it. I think I was deprived so I’ll just have to keep playing around with tater tots and see what else I can come up with. Who knew that was even a thing. Seriously, give this a try, even your pickiest eater will love it. If you have a favorite tater tot casserole, send me your version, I’ld love to see what variations someone who grew up with this has. If you are serving to to kids, you might want to tone down the peppers.
If you love casseroles, here are some of our favorites:
If you make this Tater Tot Casserole be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Tater Tot Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole has a Tex-Mex flare with taco flavored ground beef covered with crispy tater tots. Even your picky eaters will love this casserole.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb Ground beef
- ½ cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 2 red or yellow pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ¾ cup milk
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 28 ounces frozen tater tots 1 bag
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In an oven proof skillet over medium heat, add ground beef and onion and cook until no longer pink. Add peppers and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add flour and taco seasoning and cook until incorporated about 2 minutes. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add half of the cheese along with the corn and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and top with tater tots.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until tater tots are golden brown and crispy. Let stand for at least 5 minutes to cool before serving.
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 636mg | Potassium: 589mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 396IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 2mg