Take a break from chicken and try baked rice seasoned with Italian sausage, vidalia onions and corn on the cob, great for a weeknight meal.
Sometimes I feel like all I ever eat is chicken so I’ve been trying to come up with non-chicken dishes lately. Instead of chicken and rice, I went with Italian sausage. The rice is seasoned with vidalia onions and then you add Italian sausage and chicken broth and bake it.
While baking, the rice is infused with the flavors from the Italian sausage. Before putting the dish in the oven, I added corn on the cob that was cut into 1-2 inch cylinders. The corn makes the dish look interesting but we weren’t sure how easy it would be to eat. It was actually fun to pick up the little cobs and eat them with your fingers. The dish is not soupy so your fingers don’t get too messy, no more so than if you were just eating corn on the cob. Who doesn’t like eating food with their fingers. Of course you could cut the corn off the cob and mix it in with the rice if you want to be a little more prim and proper.
What I like so much about this dish is the flavor the sausage and onions add to the rice. I also like that this dish has no butter, cream, cheese or milk but is still amazing. My lactose intolerant friends will love that.
I cooked this in a Le Cresuet pan that has a lid. You will need some type of oven proof dish with a lid to keep all the flavors in while baking. I use this pan more than any other pan that I own. It’s so versatile and I love the way food cooks in it.
Looking for some other recipes you can bake in just one pan, here are some you might like
If you make Baked Rice with Italian Sausage and Corn, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Baked Rice with Italian Sausage and Corn
- 1 lb Italian sausage sweet/spicy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small vidalia onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic 1 tablespoon
- 1 ⅓ cups arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 ears fresh corn on the cob cut into 1 to 2 inch rounds
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Pierce sausage all over with the tip of a knife. In a large ovenproof skillet with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high. Add sausage and brown, turning occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and then broth. Season with salt and pepper add sausages back to pan and bring to a boil. Add corn, cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.