Change up your dinner plans and try this easy chicken stuffed with cheese and prosciutto then baked to perfection. So tender and the full of flavor your whole family will love it. What’s even better is you can prep this in just 15 minutes or less.
Trying to come up with a new chicken dish can sometimes be a challenge. Stuffing a simple chicken breast can add so much flavor, a few simple tricks will keep your chicken tender and not dried out.
This dish looks complicated but is so easy to prepare. You just need to pound the chicken to flatten it. Then spread the cheese and prosciutto on top with some basil leaves. Roll it up and secure with several toothpicks. This doesn’t need to look pretty. Next just brown the chicken a bit on the stove and place the pan in the oven to cook through.
I’ve tried stuffing chicken breasts several times but I’m generally disappointed with dried out chicken. This one is different, it is so moist and full of flavor. I did two things to keep it from drying out.
First I soaked it in buttermilk for a few hours. All you need to do is put the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour some buttermilk over it. Even 30 minutes seems to make a difference if you forget to do this step in the morning.
Pro tip: If you’re out of buttermilk, you can make your own with just two ingredients. Here are three different methods for how to make your own buttermilk.
Second, I used a meat thermometer and checked it at about 20 minutes. It will continue to cook after you remove from the oven so I took them out at about 165º. Not only were these delicious, but they looked very elegant once cut into slices. Another dish that everyone enjoyed.
With just a few ingredients, a boring chicken meal is truly spectacular and with minimum work.
Adapted from Jo Cooks
Cheese and Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts pounded flat
- 5.2 ounces garlic and herb cream cheese Boursin brand
- 8 slices proscuitto thinly sliced
- 12 basil leaves
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Flatten chicken breast with a meat mallet until they are about ¼ inch to ½ inch in thickness.
- Spread the Boursin cheese on each breast, top with basil leaves, then 2 slices of prosciutto on each breast and top with parmesan cheese. Carefully roll up each breast and secure with several toothpicks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in an oven proof skillet over medium heat and brown the chicken on all sides. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken, until cooked through. (Meat thermometer should read 165º)
- Remove from skillet onto a cutting board, discard toothpicks and wait about 15 minutes before slicing.