What kind of chocolate should you use to make the best chocolate cake recipe
How do you make chocolate cake with a cream cheese filling
Step 1: You start by creaming the butter and sugar and then adding the cocoa powder eggs and milk. To that you add espresso powder that has been dissolved in boiling water. This will give you a very runny batter that you will add the flour to. Pour the chocolate batter into your baking pan.
Step 2: Beat the cream cheese and egg and sugar until smooth and add chocolate chips. Then dollop the cream cheese mixture on top of the chocolate batter and swirl it around with a knife. Bake and let cool before frosting.
What type of frosting should you use for a chocolate cake with cream cheese swirls
More CAKE recipes
- An apple spice cake is great for brunch or if you don’t want something too sweet
- Strawberry cake is one of my all time favorites
- Try a Caramel Heath Bar poke cake
- Banana Carrot Cake can be made into a sheet cake or cupcakes
- Buttermilk cake with an amazing praline frosting
Still in the mood for chocolate
- Chocolate pecan sheet pan cake
- Old fashioned fudge
- Rich brownies
- Dense chocolate cake
- Chocolate cobbler
- Chocolate cookie
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter room temp
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 egg
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter room temp
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter a 9X13 inch metal baking pan.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add cocoa powder, soda and eggs 1 at a time and mix until well combined.
- On low speed, slowly add the milk, be careful not to let it splash out of the bowl. Once combined, turn to high and beat until smooth.
- Add espresso powder to boiling water to dissolve, set aside.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the flour. With the mixer turned off, add and the boiling water with espresso powder and vanilla. Stir with a spatula to incorporate. Slowly turn on mixer, be especially careful as this will be very runny and it will easily splash out side of the bowl. Once combined, gradually increase the speed and mix until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Wash the bowl or use a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese, egg, and sugar. Beat until smooth then add chocolate chips.
- Dollop the cream cheese on the top of the chocolate cake batter making sure that you get some on the edges and in the corners. Then take a knife and swirl it throughout.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. It should still be slightly jiggly in the center. Let cool to room temperature before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese, and butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until completely smooth. If it gets too thick, add a little milk. Frost cake and refrigerate to let it set before cutting.
Barbara's Tips + Notes
If you make Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.