How to make scones
Creme Fraiche Scones with Blueberries
Blueberry scones made with creme fraiche are amazing for breakfast or tea. The pastry is heavenly and not too sweet. With this tried and true technique yours will turn out perfect every time.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Stack 2 baking sheets together and line the top one with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Process until combined. Add cold butter and process until you have pea size pieces.
3. In a measuring bowl, whisk together the creme fraiche, vanilla and egg. Add to flour mixture and process just until combined.
4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it just comes together. Pat into a 12 inch square. Fold the dough into thirds like you are folding a letter. Then fold dough into thirds again making a square. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes. (You can refrigerate this overnight at this point)
5. Remove from freezer and roll it into a 12 inch square. Add frozen blueberries or fresh pushing them into the dough. Roll it jelly roll style into a 12 by 4 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 4 equal rectangles and cut each rectangle into 2 triangles. Transfer to baking sheet and brush the tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
6. Bake for 18-25 minutes until tops and bottoms are lightly brown.
If using frozen blueberries, don’t thaw them. Also don’t add too many blueberries or the scone won’t stay together.