When we were snow bound a few weeks ago, I experimented with different techniques for scones. I love scones as long as they’re not covered in thick icing. A little glaze is OK, but I don’t want something overly sweet for breakfast. A creme fraiche blueberry scones are just the thing, biscuit like but lighter.
I especially like adding fruit as it adds some sweetness without added sugar. I had one packet of frozen blueberries left from last summer so I added them, can’t wait for fresh ones to get here. If using frozen blueberries don’t thaw them.
Tips for perfect scones
- Use creme fraiche instead of buttermilk. Creme fraiche is similar to sour cream but a little thicker and not quite as sour. It gives the scones a creamier texture so they aren’t as crumbly as some scones can be.
- Use a technique I use for biscuits. Cut the dough into three rectangles and stack them on top of each other. Roll out the stack and do it again two more times. This will give the dough lots of layers. Try to handle the dough as little as possible.
How do you make creme fraiche blueberry scones
Step 1: Use a food processor to mix the dry ingredients then add cold butter and process until the butter is the size of peas.
Step 2: Combine creme fraiche, vanilla and egg and add it to the flour mixture and process just until it comes together.
Step 3: Place it on a floured surface and form into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into thirds and stack them on top of each other. Roll out into a rectangle and repeat this 2 more times. Place the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Roll out the dough, add frozen blueberries and roll it jelly roll style. Cut into triangles and brush the tops with cream and coarse sugar and bake.
Need more breakfast ideas
- There’s nothing like a homemade blueberry muffin with a streusel topping
- Feeding a crowd, then try sheet pan pancakes
- Try a baked Dutch baby apple pancake
- Make some fabulous cinnamon rolls
If you make Creme Fraiche Blueberry Scones, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Creme Fraiche Blueberry Scones
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400º. Stack 2 baking sheets together and line the top one with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Process until combined. Add cold butter and process until you have pea size pieces.
- In a measuring bowl, whisk together the creme fraiche, vanilla and egg. Add to flour mixture and process just until combined.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it just comes together. Pat into a 12 inch square. Cut into thirds and stack on top of each other. Roll it out and repeat two more times. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes. (You can refrigerate this overnight at this point)
- Remove from freezer and roll it into a 12 inch square. Add frozen blueberries or fresh, pushing them into the dough. Roll it jelly roll style into a 12 by 4 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 4 equal rectangles and cut each rectangle into 2 triangles. Transfer to baking sheet and brush the tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes until tops and bottoms are lightly brown.