Ready for Spring in December, try these rich and buttery strawberry scones. The pop of strawberries make them perfect for a Christmas brunch or tea.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 4 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups butter, cold and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- Demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Add butter to flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter until it resembles course meal, or use a food processor, processing about 10 times.
3. Add buttermilk to flour mixture and mix until just combined and dough begins to stick together. Gently fold in strawberries. If dough is still dry, add buttermilk a tablespoon at a time until it comes together.
4. Place dough on a floured surface and pat into two 6 inch rounds. Cut each round in half and then cut each half into 3 triangles. Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
5. Combine slightly beaten egg and 2 tablespoons milk and brush the tops of the scones, sprinkle with demerara sugar if desired.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
7. If making with dried fruit, increase buttermilk by 1/4 cup.