How do you make homemade strawberry scones
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor and like biscuits, add cold butter and process until pea size. Then add buttermilk and process until the dough just comes together. Fold in strawberries.
Step 2: Cut into triangles, top with an egg wash and sprinkle with Demerara sugar and bake.
What’s the difference between a biscuit and a scone
There’s not a lot of difference between biscuits and scones. They both use cold butter and buttermilk. However, a scone is supposed to be a little sweeter than a biscuit so it has more sugar. A lot of folks will add a glaze to a scone but with sweet strawberries, these don’t need one.
More Breakfast/Brunch recipes
- Blueberry scones
- Breakfast braid
- Puff Pastry pockets
- Pesto zucchini cups
- Prosciutto egg cups
- mini crustless quiches
- Quiche with caramelized onions
- Streusel coffee cake
- Cinnamon rolls
- Sausage balls
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
- 4 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups butter cold and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Add butter to flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter until it resembles course meal, or use a food processor, processing about 10 times.
- Add buttermilk to flour mixture and mix until just combined and dough begins to stick together. Gently fold in strawberries. If dough is still dry, add buttermilk a tablespoon at a time until it comes together.
- Place dough on a floured surface and pat into two 6 inch rounds. Cut each round in half and then cut each half into 3 triangles. Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Combine slightly beaten egg and 2 tablespoons milk and brush the tops of the scones. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- If making with dried fruit, increase buttermilk by 1/4 cup.