How do you make Special K cookies
Step 1: Cream butter and sugar together and then add orange extract, vanilla and oil.
Step 2: Combine cereal, oatmeal, flour, baking soda and salt and add to the butter mixture.
Step 3: Stir in the white chocolate chips, cranberries and almonds. Spoon out onto a baking sheet and bake.
You might think that they’ll taste like Special K cereal, but that flavor doesn’t come out at all. It just gives them a crispier texture which I love. They have sliced almonds, dried fruit, oatmeal and a little chocolate but what really makes them special is the orange extract.
What is orange extract and how long does it last
I don’t know about you but this isn’t a pantry staple for me. I bought it just for these cookies and it’s the only thing I’ve used it for. Orange extract is just vodka and orange peel and would be easy to make. Maybe I’ll make a batch and add it to a bag of cookies for a hostess gift.
Most extracts have a shelf life of about a year, unless it’s vanilla, so buy the smallest bottle you can find unless you plan on making lots of cookies! It really transforms these cookies from just a good cookie to a GREAT one. Who would’ve guessed that just a teaspoon of orange extract could make such a difference.
Now that I have a bottle that’s only going to last a year, I think I’ll try these Orange Creamsicle Truffles.
Everyone raves about these cookies. Not only are they great to ship but they’re perfect to give away at Christmas or for a teacher gift at the end of the year.
Need more cookie ideas
- If you like pumpkin spices, then try some frosted pumpkin cookies
- Shortbreads are always good especially with chocolate chips
- Add dried cherries for festive chocolate crinkle cookies
- A peanut butter sandwich cookie is delicious and fun to make
If you make Special K Cookies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from a recipe from Lynn Wells
Special K Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cannola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup Special K cereal crushed
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, combine butter and sugars and beat until creamy. Add vanilla and orange extract and egg and mix. Add oil and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cereal, oats, baking soda and salt. Add to batter mixing on low until combined. Stir in white chocolate, almonds and cranberries.
- Using a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop, form into balls and place on a cookie sheet, slightly flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on pan for about 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.