Peppermint Brownies with crushed candy canes have peppermint both inside and out for a perfect combination Don’t forget to throw in some white chocolate chips for a great Holiday treat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- 14 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup candy canes, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate chips together in the microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until just melted.
3. Beat together the eggs, sugar, peppermint extract and vanilla until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and continue mixing until well blended.
4. Add sifted flour and salt to the batter, mixing gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remain. Stir in white chocolate chips by hand.
5. Spread the brownie batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 30-60 minutes.
6. While the brownies cool, put the candy canes in a plastic bag, cover with a towel, and pound with a hammer or rolling pin until the candy is crushed into tiny pieces.
Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and peppermint extract in a medium bowl and mix with hand mixer. Add in bream and beat until it is a spreadable consistency. Spread over top of cooled brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Refrigerate to let icing set and then cut.