This quick and easy Ritz cracker chicken recipe makes the CRISPIEST chicken that you can prepare in just ten MINUTES. It’s a weeknight recipe the whole family will love.
With a non-red meat eater in the house, I’ve been looking for some new interesting ways to make chicken that is fairly healthy. I always feel a little nostalgic when I eat Ritz crackers, they’re so simple and buttery. They provide a great crispy coating to this baked chicken.
Did you know that Ritz crackers have been around since 1934, that’s amazing!
Baked Ritz cracker chicken is not only crispy on the outside but each bite is moist and juicy.
What you’ll need to make this cheesy Ritz chicken recipe
You only need 5 ingredients:
- Chicken breasts – you can use thick or thin chicken breasts or even chicken tenders. The thinner the chicken the less time it will take to bake.
- Ritz crackers – you will need 1 sleeve or about a cup of crushed Ritz crackers.
- Egg – this helps the coating stay on the chicken.
- Buttermilk – for the coating, you could use milk instead, For the marinade you will need buttermilk or make your own by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk.
- Cheddar cheese – you can use any type of cheese but a sharp cheddar tastes great with the Ritz crackers.
How do you make oven baked Ritz cracker chicken
Step 1: If you have time, marinate the chicken in some buttermilk overnight, even 30 minutes will make a difference. If not, they will still be delicious, the buttermilk will make them even more tender.
Step 2: Set up 2 pans, I use cake pans, but a plate or baking dish will work, it just needs to be big enough to fit a chicken breast.
- The first pan will have an egg and buttermilk
- The second pan has crushed crackers. To crush the crackers, place them in a ziplock and crush with a rolling pin or anything heavy.
Step 3: Dip the chicken first in the egg mixture and then in the cracker crumbs and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 4: Top with grated cheese.
Step 5: bake at 400º covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breasts are. The internal temperature should be 165º. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, just make a small slit in the thickest part and make sure it’s not pink.
This cheesy Ritz chicken recipe has made it into our rotation of chicken dinners and has been declared a favorite. When serving, make sure to add the crispies left on the pan, they are too good to leave behind.
FAQ’s and tips
Any type of buttery cracker will work, like Keebler Town Crackers. Panko crumbs will not give the dish the same flavor as a buttery cracker.
You can make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
Letting the chicken breasts sit in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes or overnight will give you more tender chicken.
Place them in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or wine bottle or whatever you have on hand.
The internal temperature should be 165º.
The buttermilk egg mixture helps the crackers stick to the skinless chicken.
This chicken will easily freeze. To reheat just place it in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes until it’s crispy.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are my favorite, but you can easily use chicken tenders or boneless chicken thighs, just adjust the cooking time.
What else can you make with Ritz Crackers
- You can add seasoning and bake them per half baked harvest
- Try dipping them in chocolate, these look amazing
- Add them to the top of any casserole for a buttery crunch
- They are delicious with strawberries
Looking for more easy chicken dinners
- Queso chicken
- Chicken with tomatoes and mozzarella
- Chicken and rice
- Lemon chicken and potatoes
- Chicken enchiladas
- Lemon chicken pasta
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Ritz Cracker Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers 1 cup crushed
- ½ cup buttermilk plus more for marinating
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese finely grated
- If you have time, marinate chicken with about a cup of buttermilk overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Discard the buttermilk and rinse the chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together and place in a pie dish or cake pan.
- Place Ritz crackers in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin or other hard object until they are finely crushed. Place in a second pan or plate.
- Dip the chicken in milk/egg mixture than in the cracker mixture. Place on the prepared pan.. Sprinkle cheese on top and put any remaining crackers on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake covered for 20 minutes.. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 165º.
- You can use chicken tenders instead of breasts, just decrease the cooking time.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- To crush the crackers, place in a ziplock and use a rolling pin or wine bottle or any heavy object.
- This can be frozen, to reheat, bake for 10 minutes in a 350º oven.