Chicken coated in Ritz crackers and cheese makes the CRISPIEST chicken that you can prepare in ten MINUTES for a quick and delicious meal that everyone will love.
With a non-red meat eater in the house, I’ve been looking for some new interesting ways to make chicken that is fairly healthy. While Ritz Crackers aren’t as healthy as panko bread crumbs, I always feel a little nostalgic when I eat them and they provide a great crispy buttery coating to this baked chicken.
What do you need to make this crispy baked chicken recipe
You only need 5 ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Ritz crackers
- 1 egg
- Cheddar cheese
How do you make crispy oven baked Ritz cracker chicken
Step 1: If you have time, marinate the chicken in some buttermilk overnight. If not, they will still be delicious, the buttermilk will make them even more tender.
Step 2: Set up 2 pans, I use a cake pans, but a plate or baking dish will work, it just needs to be big enough to fit a chicken breast.
- The first pan will have an egg and buttermilk
- The second pan has crushed crackers and salt and pepper. To crush the crackers, place them in a ziplock and crush with a rolling pin or anything heavy.
Step 3: Dip the chicken first in the egg mixture and then in the cracker crumbs and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 4: Top with grated cheese and bake at 400º covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breasts are. The internal temperature should be 165º. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, just make a small slit in the thickest part and make sure it’s not pink.
Did you know that Ritz crackers have been around since 1934, that’s amazing!
This crispy baked chicken recipe has made it into our rotation of chicken dinners and has been declared a favorite. When serving, make sure to add the crispies left on the pan, they are too good to leave behind.
What else can you make with Ritz Crackers
- You can add seasoning and bake them per half baked harvest
- Try dipping them in chocolate, these look amazing
- Add them to the top of any casserole for a buttery crunch
- Make them into appetizers, here’s some ideas
Ritz Cracker and Cheese Chicken
Chicken coated in Ritz crackers and cheese makes the CRISPIEST chicken that you can prepare in 10 MINUTES for a quick and delicious meal that everyone will love.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- If you have time, marinate chicken with buttermilk overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Bring buttermilk and chicken to room temperature. Mix egg and buttermilk together and place in 1st bowl. I use cake pans.
- In second pan add smashed Ritz crackers and salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken in milk/egg mixture then in the cracker mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top and put remaining crackers on top.
- Place on parchment paper inside a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes and then uncover and continue to bake for 20 minutes.