Sausage and Apple Pie is not only great for breakfast or brunch but is hearty enough for dinner. A dish all will enjoy and even heats up great for leftovers. A showstopper for your next brunch or relaxing weekend breakfast.
While it’s not apple season yet, winter apples are great in this sausage and apple pie. It seems like I love anything with Italian sausage, and this recipe is no exception. I just wasn’t sure if the girls would like it. One isn’t a cheese fan and the other claims to hate ricotta.
The non-cheese lover, still loved this, she just didn’t eat as much of the topping. The ricotta hater, decided she didn’t mind ricotta when it was melted and mixed with other cheeses. Another success!
If you don’t have a pie crust in your freezer, you’ll need to plan ahead and make one or pick up a prepared one from the grocery. The homemade ones are so much better, but I realize everyone may not want to take the time to make one. I use a butter crust that you can find in my apple hand pie recipe.
How do you make this sausage and apple pie recipe
Step 1: Start by pre-baking a pie crust.
Step 2: Sauté the apples and onions with a little sugar and once softened add garlic. Remove from the skillet and add the Italian sausage to the same skillet and brown it.
Step 3: Combine eggs, cheese and ricotta.
Step 4: Layer the sausage on the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust. Next add the apple layer and top with the cheese mixture and bake.
The apples and sausage were just perfect together, I used sweet Italian sausage, but if you want to be more adventurous, try a spicy variety, the apples will help cool things down.
I was afraid with the eggs that this would be quiche like, which wasn’t what I wanted. It was nothing like quiche, the eggs just help hold the cheese together. While not quiche like, we decided it would still be great for brunch. I find that I make this anytime I have left over ricotta like when I make spaghetti alla vodka.
More breakfast ideas
- A breakfast puff pastry is always a favorite
- Make a traditional quiche
- Want something sweet, try creme brûlée french toast
- Having a crowd, make some cinnamon rolls
If you make Sausage and Apple Pie, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Sausage and Apple Pie
- pie crust
- 2 Fuji apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb italian sausage casing removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ¼ cups fontina asiago, provolone, shredded (a mixture of three cheeses)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425º. Place pie crust in 9 inch pie plate and line with parchment paper. Place pie weights or beans on the parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes, remove parchment and pie weights, prick the bottom with a fork. Return to the oven and cook until lightly brown for about 4 minutes. Turn oven down to 350º.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in large skillet. Add apples, onions and sugar and cook until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Once softened, add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a bowl. In the same skillet cook the sausage until browned and cooked through. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mixture of cheeses, ricotta and eggs and mix until combined.
- Layer sausage in the bottom of the prepared pie crust, then add apples and spread cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes, until it no longer jiggles. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.