Sausage Mushroom Soup is just what you need to stay warm this winter. A broth based soup bursting with flavor from Italian sausage and mushrooms. A quick and easy one pot soup that is a great weeknight dinner.
I’m trying to get used to the arctic temperatures in the Carolinas, but after my run Saturday morning I just couldn’t get warm. Soup seemed like the perfect solution. This recipe was not only warm, but spicy. The spice can be moderated by using sweet or mild Italian Sausage instead of the hot ones I used. It has a few pepper flakes that can also be left out if you want a milder version. My suggestion is to leave the spice in as we all thought this was a perfect combination of spice and flavor.
This takes about twenty minutes of prep time and then an additional twenty minutes for all the flavors to come together. That’s not bad for a soup with this much depth. Normally a soup this good will need to simmer for hours like short rib chili, but not so here.
It has a little angel hair pasta which gives it some texture, but only 4 ounces of pasta for the entire pot, so it’s not the main ingredient and an added benefit is that you just add it dry to the pot of soup. The flavors from the mushrooms and sausage make the broth so savory that we were drinking the last bit from our bowls. Taylor liked it so much that she took all the leftovers back to college with her.
How do you make this broth based sausage and mushroom soup
Step 1: Cook the Italian sausages whole in a Dutch oven or large pot and remove from the pot.
Step 2: In the same pot, cook the onions and garlic and when soft, add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden.
Step 3: Add chicken broth and seasoning and let it come to a boil, then add sliced sausages and pasta back to the pot and simmer for a few minutes.
It makes about 8 servings and freezes well. Since it has pasta in the soup, it’s hearty enough that you don’t need anything else with it.
Need some more COLD WEATHER recipes
- Try some chili with cheesy grits on top
- Tater tot casserole is a great skillet dish that cooks in the oven
- Spaghetti alla vodka will feed a crowd or give you lots of leftovers for lunches on days when it’s too cold to go out
- For a hearty meal, try brisket in the slow cooker covered in mac & cheese
If you make Sausage Mushroom Soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Sausage and Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ lb Italian sausage about 4 sausages
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¼ lb angel hair pasta
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderate heat. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove. when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/8 inch slices.
- In the same pot, add 1 tablespoon oil and add onion and garlic, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until golden, 5-10 minutes.
- Add broth, seasoning and 2 tablespoons of parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the sausages and bring back to a boil. Add pasta, reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining parsley.