Chicken bites wrapped in bacon would be delicious all by themselves, but add some Boursin and jalapeño and you have a melt-in-your-mouth, amazing low carb appetizer. Great for a party or Game Day. Surprisingly not greasy because they’re baked on a wire rack, making them extra delicious!
I’ve been on a mission to make the perfect bacon wrapped chicken bites. Each time I make a batch I change something, either the seasoning on the outside, the bacon itself or the mixture on the inside. My family has loved all of them and now I finally found the combination that I think is just perfect. I was looking for perfectly seasoned but savory and not sweet. I ended up with these ridiculously delicious bites that are the most amazing appetizer.
You might think that bacon wrapped chicken would be greasy but by cooking these little gems on a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet, the grease drips through and you’re left with a crispy bacon coating.
To flavor the chicken, you’ll add a little Boursin with herbs and then to spice it up add a thin slice of jalapeño. If you are not into spicy food, they are still delicious with just the Boursin. I didn’t do anything to the chicken except sprinkle a little garlic salt on it. The chicken bakes inside the bacon creating a tender and scrumptious bite.
What is Boursin Cheese
Boursin cheese is a French cheese infused with garlic, parsley and chives. The texture is similar to cream cheese. It’s great by itself on crackers or stuffed in dates. It’s a nice substitute for goat cheese.
Why you’ll love it
- Bacon is good on everything!
- These are easy to prepare ahead of time and bake when ready or assemble and freeze for another day.
- While out of this world when warm, they are still delicious at room temperature.
- It’s a great choice if you’re watching your carbs.
What you’ll need for baked chicken bites
- Bacon – for the bacon, thin is easier to wrap around your pieces of chicken and you won’t need a toothpick. However, I like the flavor of the thicker cut bacon, which will require a toothpick. I tried apple wood smoked and plain bacon but my favorite is a thick sliced pepper bacon from Fresh Market. It has a little kick to it.
- Boursin cheese – it’s creamy and has the best flavor when combined with bacon and chicken.
- Chicken pieces – I used white meat but you could also use boneless thighs
- Garlic salt – to sprinkle over the chicken.
- Jalapeño peppers – these are totally optional but I prefer spicy.
How do you make chicken bites wrapped in bacon
Cut a chicken breast into 1 inch pieces and sprinkle with some garlic salt.
Cut the bacon in thirds and place a piece of chicken on one end. Top the chicken with some cheese and a slice of pepper and roll it up.
Place the roll, seam side down on a rack inside a foil/parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. If you’re using a thicker sliced bacon, you will need a toothpick to hold it together.
Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes until the bacon is crispy, turn them over and broil the other side.
They were easy to put together and while you might think they would be greasy, cooking them on a rack inside a rimmed baking sheet lets all the grease drain into the pan. I did set the smoke detector off when a couple of the pieces of bacon got a little too close to the broiler, but in our house if the smoke detector goes off, that’s generally a good sign. The chicken breast I used was pretty large, so adjust accordingly. Trust me, you can’t go wrong even if you just wrap the chicken with bacon.
If you follow a low carb or keto eating plan, you’ll need to add these to your meal plan!
FAQ’s and tips
If you use thin sliced bacon, you will not need toothpicks. The bacon will stay wrapped, just place them seam side down. If using thicker bacon, you will probably need a toothpick to keep it together.
Chicken breasts or tenders cut into small pieces work best.
Cook these on a rack placed inside a rimmed pan. The grease from the bacon will drip into the pan.
You can assemble these ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to bake. You can even freeze at this stage and thaw before baking.
More Game Day appetizers
Chicken Bites Wrapped in Bacon Recipe
- 7 slices bacon
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- garlic salt
- 2 ounces Boursin cheese garlic and herb flavor
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and place wire rack inside.
- Cut chicken into one inch pieces and sprinkle with garlic salt. Cut bacon into thirds.
- To assemble, place a piece of chicken on one end of the bacon strip. Top with about ½ teaspoon of cheese and a jalapeño slice. Roll and place seam side down on rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the oven to broil and broil for about 2 minutes, until bacon turns crispy. Turn the pieces over and broil for another 2 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve with Ranch dressing.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- If using thick cut bacon you will need a toothpick, if using thin sliced they will stay wrapped.
- Place the chicken bites on a rack inside a rimmed backing sheet to keep them from being greasy.
- You can refrigerate or freeze after assembling.