Bacon wrapped chicken bites would be delicious all by themselves, but add some Boursin and jalapeño and you have a melt-in-your-mouth, amazing low carb appetizer. Great for a party or Game Day. Surprisingly not greasy because they’re baked on a wire rack.
I’ve been on a mission to make the perfect bacon wrapped chicken bites. Each time I make a batch I change something, either the seasoning on the outside, the bacon itself or the mixture on the inside. My family has loved all of them and now I finally found the combination that I think is just perfect. I was looking for perfectly seasoned but savory, not sweet. I ended up with these ridiculously delicious bites that are the perfect party food.
What you’ll need for baked chicken bites
- Bacon – for the bacon, thin is easier to wrap around your pieces of chicken and you won’t need a toothpick. However, I like the flavor of the thicker cut bacon, which will require a toothpick. I tried apple wood smoked and plain bacon but my favorite is a thick sliced pepper bacon from Fresh Market. It has a little kick to it.
- Boursin cheese – it’s creamy and has the best flavor when combined with bacon and chicken
- Chicken pieces – I used white meat but you could you boneless thighs if you prefer.
- Garlic salt – to sprinkle over the chicken.
- Jalapeño peppers – these are totally optional but I prefer spicy.
What is Boursin Cheese
Boursin cheese is a French cheese infused with garlic, parsley and chives. The texture is similar to cream cheese. It’s great by itself on crackers or on mini pizzas, or stuffed in dates. It’s a nice substitute for goat cheese.
I thought these would be good with a little cheese inside, so I went with Boursin with herbs and added a thin slice of jalapeño. If you are not into spicy food, they are still delicious with just the Boursin. I didn’t do anything to the chicken except sprinkle a little garlic salt on it.
How do you make chicken wrapped in bacon
Step 1: Cut a chicken breast into 1 inch pieces and sprinkle with some garlic salt.
Step 2: Cut the bacon in thirds and place a piece of chicken on one end. Top the chicken with some cheese and a slice of pepper and roll it up.
Step 3: Place the roll, seam side down on a rack inside a foil/parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. If you’re using a thicker sliced bacon, you will need a toothpick to hold it together.
Step 4: Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes until the bacon is crispy, turn them over and broil the other side. Since the chicken is in such small pieces, it will cook in 4 minutes.
They were easy to put together and while you might think they would be greasy, cooking them on a rack inside a rimmed baking sheet lets all the grease drain into the pan. I did set the smoke detector off when a couple of the pieces of bacon got a little too close to the broiler, but in our house if the smoke detector goes off, that’s generally a good sign. The chicken breast I used was pretty large, so adjust accordingly. Trust me, you can’t go wrong even if you just wrap the chicken with bacon.
If you follow a low carb or keto eating plan, you’ll need to add these to your meal plan!
FAQ’s and tips
If you use thin sliced bacon, you will not need toothpicks. The bacon will stay wrapped. If using thicker bacon, you will probably need a toothpick to keep it together.
Chicken breasts or tenders cut into small pieces work best.
Cook these on a rack placed inside a rimmed pan. The grease from the bacon will drip into the pan.
You can assemble these ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to bake. You can even freeze at this stage and thaw before baking.
More appetizers with BACON
- Dates stuffed with spicy blue cheese are amazing
- If you like spicy, try jalapeños and chicken wrapped in bacon
- Potatoes wrapped in bacon are a delicious option
- Pull out the grill for dates wrapped in bacon
Need some more ideas for GAME DAY
- Try serving some queso dip
- Get fancy with apple pistachio sausage rolls
- Roasted grape crostini are great to munch on
- Go for traditional mini potato skins
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- 7 thin slices bacon
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- garlic salt
- 2 ounces Boursin cheese garlic and herb
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and place wire rack inside.
- Cut chicken into one inch pieces and sprinkle with garlic salt. Cut bacon into thirds.
- To assemble, place a piece of chicken on one end of the bacon strip. Top with about 1/2 teaspoon of cheese and a jalapeño slice. Roll and place seam side down on rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the oven to broil and broil for about 2 minutes, until bacon turns crispy. Turn the pieces over and broil for another 2 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve with Ranch dressing.
- If using thick cut bacon you will need a toothpick, if using thin sliced they will stay wrapped.
- Place the chicken bites on a rack inside a rimmed backing sheet to keep them from being greasy.
- You can refrigerate or freeze after assembling.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.