Pizza Bites are an easy snack with a tortilla base that you can easily adapt. Great finger food for a party or game night.
We needed a fun appetizer to eat during the finale of The Great British Bake Off. Natalie introduced us to this show this summer and we have become hooked. I don’t watch much TV but this show is really worth your time. While we can’t compete with the crazy complicated concoctions they whip up in the tent, we did have fun making our own individual pizza bites using flour tortillas as the base. We each put our spin on them and made several different unique and delicious appetizers. I was surprised how well they stayed together even after taking a bite. I think it helped that we didn’t go overboard on the toppings. These were also just as good at room temperature as they were hot out of the oven.
I put a little pancetta and black olives on mine, Taylor went with no sauce but pineapple, and Natalie went traditional with sauce and pepperoni.
Start out by spraying your muffin tins with cooking spray and then I used the lid of the cooking spray, which happens to be the exact size of a muffin tin, to cut circles in a flour tortilla. Make sure you use flour tortillas, the whole wheat and corn tortillas are not the right texture. Low carb tortillas worked fine.
These still work if your base is larger than the bottom of the muffin tin. Place the tortilla circle in the bottom and then add about a teaspoon of sauce, some toppings and cheese. Bake and you have a perfect mini pizza bite. These are great if you’re having friends over as everyone can make their own just the way they like it. I’ll have to remember to make these for football games.
- 4 inch 8-in flour tortillas
- Tomato sauce
- mozzarella chese
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º. Spray two 12 cup muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray
- Use a a circle about the size of the bottom of the muffin tin to cut circles in the tortillas. The circles can be slightly large than the bottom or the same size. I used the lid to the cooking spray. You should get about 6 circles per tortilla. Place each circle into the bottom of the muffin tin.
- Top the tortillas with about 1 teaspoon sauce, whatever topping you like and finish with about a teaspoon of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and they have started to brown slightly.