This creamy Buffalo chicken dip is an all time favorite game day appetizer. With homemade buffalo sauce and ranch dressing, it’s a must for any party. Use rotisserie chicken and a quick and easy Buffalo sauce for that “hot wing” taste.
If you love buffalo chicken wings, then you’ll love Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo chicken dip. It has all the flavor without the messy wings. You can adjust the heat by increasing or decreasing the hot sauce.
Don’t you just love a warm dip while watching an exciting game, or just chilling with your favorite movie. Whether it’s a hot onion dip or classic artichoke dip or a simple queso, warm dips are the best comfort food.
Since my Buffalo chicken wings are such a big hit every time I make them, I thought, I’ld try my homemade Buffalo sauce in a baked Buffalo chicken dip. While you can make this chicken dip with just Frank’s Red Hot sauce, it will be even better if you take an extra five minutes and make the sauce.
Buffalo chicken wing dip ticks all the boxes for a great appetizer:
- It’s easy to fix with just a few ingredients
- It tastes great even when it cools to room temperature
- You can easily adjust how spicy to make it
- With cream cheese and two types of cheese, it’s both creamy and cheesy
- It’s great with crackers and chips or carrots and celery
- I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love it
What you’ll need
- Frank’s Red Hot and Texas Pete -adding 2 different types of hot sauce gives it a more complex flavor. (affiliate)
- Butter, brown sugar and vinegar – added to the hot sauce for the best Buffalo wing sauce around.
- Rotisserie chicken – shredded, you can also use cooked chicken breasts.
- Cream cheese – this makes it creamy
- White cheddar and American cheese – adding American cheese will help keep it smooth and creamy as it cools.
- Ranch dressing – bottled not powder.
- Garlic and green onions.
How do you make the BEST buffalo chicken dip
Step 1: In a saucepan, melt butter and add Frank’s Red Hot, Texas Pete, brown sugar and vinegar and cook until the brown sugar has melted.
Step 2: Start with an oven poof skillet, or a non stick skillet if you don’t want to serve it out of the skillet. Saute the garlic and add the shredded chicken.
Step 3: Once the chicken is warm, add the cream cheese and simmer until it’s melted, add ranch dressing and combine.
Step 4: Top with cheese and bake in an oven proof skillet or pour into a glass baking dish and cover with cheese and bake.
Step 5: Once it’s bubbly, place under the broiler for a minute to brown. Top with green onions and serve with your favorite dippers.
Now you have all you need to enjoy the big games or for your next party.
FAQ’s and tips
You can substitute 1/2 cup of hot sauce if you’re in a hurry, but it’s better with the homemade Buffalo sauce and it only takes about 5 minutes.
You can use cooked chicken breasts, you’ll find instructions on how to cook chicken breasts on my chicken chili post.
It’s just as good in either. You can even divide it into individual ramekins.
Buffalo chicken dip can be made in advance and refrigerated before baking. Let it warm to room temperature before placing in the oven.
If the chicken dip gets cold, just place it back in the oven for 5 minutes or warm it in the microwave.
More Game Day appetizers you’ll love
- Traditional sausage balls or try some with almond flour
- Crispy potato skins will go fast
- Roasted nuts are a must to munch on
- Wrap potatoes, chicken or dates in bacon
- Make mini croque monsieurs, a blog favorite
- Flaky pinwheels are a must
As an Amazon Affiliate I might receive income from links that you click on. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 2 cups Cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup Buffalo Sauce (see below)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese 4 ounces, shredded
- ½ cup American Cheese 4 ounces, shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Franks original hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Buffalo sauce: In a small saucepan melt butter and add the remaining ingredients. Cook until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a 10 inch oven proof skillet and saute garlic for about 1 minute. Add chicken, buffalo sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add cream cheese cook until melted. Add ranch dressing. Top with cheese or Pour into a 1 quart baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and is bubbly around the edges, about 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook until brown, about 2 minutes.
- You can use cooked chicken breasts instead of rotisserie chicken
- This can be made in an iron skillet or glass baking dish
- Serve with crackers, chips, celery or carrots
- You can re-heat in the microwave or in the oven
- Buffalo chicken dip can be prepared in advance, refrigerate and then let come to room temperature before baking
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.