Are you looking for a moist cake that doesn’t need frosting? You have to try this buttermilk cake with praline topping for a simple and easy recipe you can make with just a few ingredients.Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping
I tried this fabulous buttermilk cake when I wanted to use up some buttermilk before it expired. Since we are home bound, I needed to use ingredients I already had in my pantry and fridge. While ordering flour from King Arthur’s Bakery, I saw this cake recipe on their website and knew we would love it.
What true Southerner doesn’t love pralines. I’ve put them in brownies but never tried topping a cake with them. This topping is better than any frosting you could add and it’s not messy so you can easily eat these with your fingers.
If the topping doesn’t have you baking yet, then the cake itself will. The buttermilk gives you the moistest cake you can imagine and the brown sugar adds a caramel like flavor. Delicious on it’s own but even better with the praline topping.Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping
What is buttermilk
Buttermilk used to be what was left over after churning butter but now it’s a cultured milk, like yogurt where cultures are added to milk giving it a tangy taste and a thicker texture than milk.
What if you don’t have buttermilk
I would never just drink buttermilk but it sure makes great biscuits and is the perfect marinade to give you tender chicken. But if you’re out, then it’s easy to make your own. Just put 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup and fill it with milk. You can even use low fat milk. Let it sit for 10 minutes until it thickens. I’ll make my own buttermilk when I need to marinate chicken. For baking I try to use the real deal.
How do you make an EASY buttermilk cake
Step 1: Beat the butter and brown sugar and add eggs. Then add the dry ingredients and combine. Place in a 9 x 13 cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. How EASY is that!.Buttermilk Cake batter
Step 2: Right before the cake is finished, melt butter in the microwave and add brown sugar, milk, pecans and salt and mix.Praline Topping
Step 3: Remove the cake and pour the brown sugar pecan topping over the top and bake an additional 10 minutes.Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping
These last 10 minutes is when the magic happens. The brown sugar and butter caramelize on the top and when the cake cools, it forms a praline like topping. The hardest part about this cake is waiting for it to cool so you can eat it.Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping
It’s perfect all by itself but you could add a little whipped cream to the top. This is a great dessert to take to a pot luck since it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Same goes for summer cook-outs or pool parties.Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping
If you’re home and can’t get out, I bet you have all the ingredients you need to make this awesome cake.
Can you freeze buttermilk cake with praline topping
As with most cakes, a buttermilk cake freezes well. Just cut it into pieces and place in an air tight container. Once thawed it will still be a moist caramel flavored cake with a praline topping that has seeped down into the cake.
What can you do with leftover buttermilk
- Make buttermilk biscuits
- Marinate chicken breasts
- Pumkin muffins
- Cornbread topped sloppy Joes
- Apple breakfast biscuit
- Cheesy pull apart bread
- Buttermilk pancakes
More POTLUCK desserts
- Chocolate cake with cheesecake
- Slab pie with pecans and chocolate
- Cake with strawberries
- Simple brownies
- Brownies topped with cookie dough
Buttermilk Cake Recipe with Praline Topping
- ½ cup butter room temp
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 2 cups buttermilk room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- pinch salt
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a 9” by 13” metal baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla so it doesn’t splash out of the mixer. Add the baking soda, salt and flour and bit until combined and there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. It should be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean.
- 5 minutes before the cake is done, Combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Add milk, pecans and salt and stir. It should be thick but pourable. If not, place in the microwave for a few seconds.
- When the cake is done, remove and pour the topping over the top, and return to the oven for 10 minutes. The topping will be runny but will thicken as it cools.
- Let the cake cool and the topping harden before serving.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup and fill with milk. Let sit for 10 minutes until thickened.
If you make Buttermilk Cake with Praline Topping, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.