Looking for a hearty and satisfying meal that’s bursting with flavor? Look no further than chicken spaghetti! This delicious creamy baked chicken and mushroom pasta dish is a blend of tender, juicy chicken, perfectly cooked pasta, and a mouthwatering mushroom sauce that’s rich and creamy.
This Chicken Mushroom Pasta Bake is the Perfect Weeknight Meal
This creamy chicken spaghetti with fresh vegetables, parmesan cheese, and al dente pasta is a simple recipe that’s perfect for weeknight dinners. A balanced yet delicious meal you can easily make on a weeknight.
If you’re not a red sauce fan, this is your pasta dish, it has tomatoes but they are subtle and not the main ingredient. Instead you have a broth based sauce that’s got tons of flavor and cheese. No cream like in Italian sausage pasta, so it has more of a traditional spaghetti taste and is lighter like sun-dried tomato pasta and artichokes.
Baked spaghetti is one of those family favorite dinners that will never get old. This recipe is lighter than baked spaghetti with vodka sauce, but is still loaded with tons of flavor thanks to the veggies. If you prefer a chicken casserole without the pasta cooked in, then try broccoli chicken divan that is served over egg noodles.
Like spaghetti casserole, this chicken and spaghetti recipe is perfect for a large crowd or for leftovers the next day. It keeps well in the fridge and is easy to take on the go. Reheat in the microwave for a quick and easy lunch!
Like most baked pasta casseroles, you can make this in advance and pop it in the oven when you get home from work. The prep time is minimal, you can get the sauce together in the time it takes the pasta to cook.
Why you’ll love Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- It’s a healthy weeknight dinner that even the kids will love
- You can easily feed eight people
- The jalapeños add a slight kick that’s not too overwhelming
- It has the same consistency as spaghetti but without red sauce
Creamy Chicken Spaghetti ingredients
- Chicken – cooked and shredded chicken breast works best. I like to bake mine in the oven or cook in the Instant pot, but you can save time and use a rotisserie chicken.
- Spaghetti – Whatever type of spaghetti noodles you have on hand will work. I prefer standard sized spaghetti pasta but you could use bucatini.
- Vegetables – You’ll need mushrooms, a bell pepper, an onion, celery, and a jalapeño pepper. If you want this dish mild, leave out the jalapeño.
- Chicken broth/bone broth – bone broth will add more flavor, my favorite is Zoup.
- Canned tomatoes -diced tomatoes will add some flavor without making this into a red sauce.
- Cheese – using a blend of parmesan, mozzarella, asiago, and fontina cheese gives so much flavor to the creamy sauce. You can also swap the parmesan cheese out for sharp cheddar cheese if desired.
- Pantry staples – butter, flour, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley.
Pro tip: If you have a lot of chicken you want to shred, try using a hand mixer to shred chicken, it’s so easy!
Which mushroom is good for pasta?
For this pasta dish, the best mushrooms to use are white button mushrooms or cremini. Both of these add a subtle mushroom flavor that will not overpower the dish.
How to make Chicken Mushroom Pasta
Step 1: Prepare
Cook pasta according to package directions, you want it a little al dente since it will continue cooking as it bakes. Chop the veggies.
Step 2: Saute veggies
Cook the mushrooms and onions until they’ve browned, then add the peppers and celery.
Step 3: Make it thick
Add flour and warmed chicken broth to the vegetable mixture and stir until it’s thickened.
Step 4: Get cheesy
Add cheese and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.
Step 5: Final touches
Add the chicken and pasta to the mixture then bake in a casserole dish covered with aluminum foil.
Remove after 30 minutes, add parmesan cheese to the top and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Pro tip: When cooking any pasta, make sure to salt your pasta water. This adds flavor.
Creamy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe tips
- Don’t overcook the spaghetti – The spaghetti will continue to cook while it bakes, so do not overcook it when boiling, take it out before it’s fully cooked.
- Shred your own cheese – Pre-shredded cheese works if you’re in a time crunch, but shredding your own cheese will allow for a much smoother sauce.
- Use leftover chicken – This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken that might go to waste. This also saves some time!
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta FAQs
What are the spices in chicken mushroom pasta?
The flavor in this casserole comes from the vegetables and not the spices. However, a little heat is added by using red pepper flakes.
Should you bake chicken spaghetti covered or uncovered?
Baking this dish covered allows everything to cook evenly. However, to melt the parmesan cheese, you should cook it uncovered for a few minutes. This way, you get a golden brown cheesy top with a delicious spaghetti middle.
What brings out mushroom flavor?
Browning mushrooms first brings out their flavor.
How to make more flavorful pasta?
To make a more flavorful pasta dish, saute vegetables like onions, mushrooms and peppers, this will keep it from being bland.
What to serve with Chicken Mushroom Spaghetti
- You can never go wrong with the spaghetti and cheesy bread combo
- These brown butter rice crispy treats will satisfy that sweet tooth after a savory meal
- A broccoli salad is a yummy side and healthy dish to compliment this spaghetti
- Green beans with bacon is another great side dish for this creamy chicken spaghetti recipe
Chicken Mushroom Pasta storage
You can store this cheesy chicken spaghetti covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until desired temperature is reached or heat in the oven for 10 minutes at 350º.
Can you freeze chicken spaghetti?
You can freeze this dish pre or post baking. If you want to freeze chicken spaghetti before baking, simply freeze in an airtight container, and thaw completely in the fridge before baking. To freeze after baking, let cool completely then freeze in an airtight container, or double wrap in plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
More chicken casserole recipes
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes drained
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese 1 cup shredded
- 4 ounces fontina cheese 1 cup shredded
- 2 ounces asiago cheese ½ cup shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350º and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Boil the pasta per directions, drain in colander and drizzle with a little olive oil. Leave it to drain while you are making the sauce.
- In a very large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add peppers, and celery and cook until they have softened about 5 minutes.
- Warm up the chicken broth in the microwave for about 30 secons.
- Add flour to the vegetables and cook for about a minute then gradually add the chicken broth stirring until it has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mozzarella, fontina and asiago, saving the parmesan for later. Add tomatoes, parsley red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add chicken and drained pasta, stirring until combined with the sauce. Pour it into prepared baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly around the edges. Remove the foil and add parmesan cheese to the top. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Warming the chicken broth helps speed up the cooking process.
- Take out the pasta when it is al dente as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving.