Chocolate Dulce De Leche Cookies are a rich chocolate cookie with dulce de leche swirled throughout. A delicious chocolate cookie with a caramel like filling.
Any time I see a recipe that uses dulce de leche, I can’t wait to try it. These chocolate dulce de leche cookies are a rich chocolate cookie with swirls of dulce de leche throughout. I love almost anything with this magical ingredient especially dulce de leche brownies.
What is dulce de leche
While dulce de leche looks like caramel, it’s not the same. Dulce de leche is sweetened condensed milk that is slowly heated until it turns into a thick and dark amber substance. Caramel, is made of butter, sugar and heavy cream. While similar, they both have their unique taste.
Not only are these chocolate brownie like cookies, scrumptious, but they are kind of fun to make.
How do you make chocolate dulce de leche cookies
- Step 1: Cream the butter and sugar and add eggs. Next add melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Step 2: Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Step 3: Warm the dulce de leche so that it is pourable and drizzle a little over the cookie dough. Don’t mix it in. Scoop out the cookies and continue to drizzle a little more dulce de leche over the dough so that all fo the cookies have a little swirl throughout and bake.
You prepare your chocolate cookie dough and then pour part of the dulce de leche over the top of the batter without mixing it in. Scoop out some cookies and then pour more dulce de leche over the cookie dough, continuing until you run out of both. By not mixing it in, you get a caramel like swirl in the cookies.
They are a little fragile, so I would not suggest mailing them or taking to a bake sale. Perfect for a little chocolate and caramel fix. They are even better with a glass of milk!
More CHOCOLATE cookie recipes
- Chocolate cookies with chocolate chunks when you really want chocolate
- Chocolate and toffee are a great combination
- Just want a little chocolate, try chocolate shortbread cookies
- Try adding some cherries to chocolate cookies
If you make Chocolate dulce de leche Cookies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cookies
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 350º, prepare cookie trays with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave bowl on 50% power for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until just melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time. Increase speed and mix until light, creamy and pale in color, about 2-3 minutes. Lower the speed and add cooled melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix until uniform in color.
- Add dry ingredients mixing until just barely combined, don’t overwork the batter after adding the flour. Fold in milk chocolate chips and stir.
- Slightly melt the dulce de leche in the microwave so that it is pourable and drizzle some of it over the top of the batter. Do not mix it in. Use a 2 tablespoon ice scream scoop to scoop a portion onto a cookie sheet. Continue to drizzle caramel over the dough so that each scoop has a little dulce de lechel in it.
- Bake until they are cracked all over the top and just set, about 14-16 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack completely before removing from the baking sheet.
Leave a Reply