Noodle Kugel is one of our family favorites. Slightly sweet from golden raisins and creamy with a vanilla yogurt custard. A great side dish, but perfect all by itself. A healthier comfort food that you’re going to love.
When Taylor was a toddler, noodle kugel was one of her favorite dishes. I would make it in muffin tins so that she would have individual servings for lunch or a snack. She seemed to get tired of it after a few years and I had forgotten about the recipe. When she came home from college we came across this noodle kugel recipe and she couldn’t remember what it tasted like, so I made it for dinner. Wow, why had I stopped making this!
What is KUGEL
Kugel is a typical Jewish dish, for a full history you can check out Jamie Geller’s website. I’m not Jewish but my grandparents are German which may be where I first had kugel. It is generally made with some type of custard and egg noodles. My version is slightly sweet and has golden raisins. I consider it a comfort food that’s not quite as rich as Macaroni and Cheese.
How do you make Noodle Kugel
Step 1: Start with milk, vanilla yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cinnamon and sugar. You will need to either process this in a food processor or use an emersion blender to make it smooth. If you don’t have either, a blender will work or just try a whisk.
Step 3: Bake for about 30 minutes until the custard is set and the top is golden brown.
Noodle kugel is great on its own or as a side. I would serve it like you would macaroni and cheese, it’s a much healthier alternative. The golden raisins are a nice addition and add a little sweetness which pairs well with almost any meat.
We had forgotten how much we liked this simple dish. It brought back lots of happy memories and I’m so glad I became re-acquainted with it.
More Comforting SIDE DISHES
- Nothing says comfort like mashed potatoes, and these can be made ahead of time
- Creamy broccoli casserole with panko on top is always a winner
- This hearty sourdough stuffing is a meal in itself
- For a healthier choice, try broccoli salad with a homemade dressing
If you make Noodle Kugel, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 oz. egg noodles cooked and drained
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a blender or food processor, combine milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cinnamon and sugar until smooth. (If using a food processor, it might leak so be prepared.) Pour into a large bowl and combine with noodles and raisins. Mix and place in baking dish. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar mixture and dot with butter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until pudding is golden brown. Serve warm or room temp. I used non-fat for all of the dairy products. You can also make this in a muffin pan for snack size portions, if so, reduce the cooking time.