It seems that I’m always trying to find a simple dish that meets with several different eating preferences, chicken with mozzarella and tomatoes will please everyone. I try to eat healthy during the week, whatever that means any more. For me that means I’m going to watch the sugar and try to include some veggies whenever I can. Mozzarella and tomatoes are a constant for us in the summer drizzled with a thick aged balsamic.
It’s pretty low-carb with just a little sugar and 12 carbs overall, if you are watching those. It turns out that everyone in my family loves this dish, which is win for me.
What type of VINEGAR should you use for this recipe
How do you MAKE Chicken with Mozzarella and Tomatoes
It’s pretty easy to make, start to finish in less than 30 minutes depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. If you have planned in advance, marinate the chicken breasts in buttermilk the night before or for at least 30 minutes. It will give you moist chicken breasts. If not, just don’t overcook the chicken.
Step 1: Start by sautéing the chicken in a bit of olive oil until it’s almost done. Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and cover them with foil while you make the sauce.
Step 2: For the sauce, start with an inexpensive balsamic vinegar and add just a little brown sugar and some garlic. To this add cherry tomatoes and let it cook down until the tomatoes are tender and the glaze is slightly thickened.
Step 3: Add the chicken back to the skillet and add a slice of mozzarella to each piece and cover the pan so that it melts.
Looking for MORE chicken recipes
- Lemony chicken piccata is fabulous
- Use the Instant Pot for BBQ chicken
- Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Use rotisserie chicken and make a Kentucky Hot Brown
If you make Chicken with Mozzarella and Tomatoes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Adapted from I Heart Eating
Chicken with Mozzarella and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil. Season chicken liberally with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Place in a hot skillet and cook until cooked through and temperature has reached 170º, about 6-8 minutes per side depending on thickness of the chicken. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium low heat, add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer until tomatoes are soft, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Return chicken to the pan and top with mozzarella. Cover to allow the cheese to melt.