With the long days of summer, we enjoy our Friday nights sitting out on the patio with appetizers. Most of the time, it’s nothing fancy or complicated, but something to nibble on while we enjoy a glass of wine and the company of family and friends. Many times, it’s just cheese and Italian meats from the Italian market around the corner, but last week I was in the mood for chicken wings.
I really don’t like the chicken wings you get at most restaurants, they’re cooked to death and smothered in a sauce that has no flavor. If you’ve never tried making them, parmesan chicken wings will be your new favorite appetizer or dinner.
How do you make the BEST parmesan chicken wings
Step 1: Boil the chicken wings with a little vinegar and dried herbs. Remove them to a rack to cool.
Step 2: Toss slightly cooled wings with olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, toss with ½ cup of parmesan.
Step 3: Place on a rack or on a foil lined baking pan and cover with more parmesan cheese and bake.
While these have the added step of boiling the chicken wings, it’s worth every minute. Boiling keeps the chicken moist and tender. They go in the oven fully cooked so the baking just makes them crispy but not overcooked.
Looking for more appetizers for Game Day
- Low carb sausage balls
- Creamy queso dip
- Mini croque monsieurs
- Tortilla pizza rounds
- Bite size potato skins
- Roasted nuts
- Cheesy crackers
- Bacon wrapped potatoes
- Spinach Dip
- Mushroom bites
- Prosciutto pinwheels
Parmesan Baked Chicken Wings
- 3 quarts water
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese finely graded
- Combine water, vinegar, ¼ cup salt, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and rosemary in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken wings and bring to boil cooking for 15 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a rack and allow to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450º and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic and salt. Add olive oil, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add wings to the garlic mixture and mix until well coated. Add ½ cup of parmesan.
- Transfer to baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned.