S’mores Cookies are as close to the real thing as you’ll find. Crushed Graham crackers folded into the batter give these cookies the flavor you expect from a S’more. Mini marshmallows toasted on top alongside melted Hershey bars, create a gooey classic dessert without a campfire.
Try S’mores Cookies, No Campfire Needed
Have you ever tried to re-create a S’more. There is nothing that says summer more than making S’mores over an open fire. You can try roasting them in the oven, but it’s just not the same without the smoke, S’more bars with Rice Krispies are pretty close in a bar form.
I’ve tried lots of different cookie variations, you can get the chocolate and marshmallow flavor but it’s hard to bring in the graham crackers. For these amazing cookies, graham cracker crumbs are mixed with butter and brown sugar in the cookie dough to create a unique texture and taste. The marshmallows and chocolate are added during the baking process.
By baking the cookies in stages, it allows for the cookie dough itself to cook and still have a roasted marshmallow on top along with some melty chocolate, just like you get with a real s’more. If you put the marshmallows on right away, they will just melt. While this requires a couple of steps, it’s worth it.
Why you Should Make These
- You’re craving summer campfires
- You love roasted marshmallows
- There’s nothing more nostalgic than a s’more
They are best served while still warm so the chocolate is still gooey like it would be in a s’more.
If you freeze or refrigerate the cookies, microwave them for just a few seconds to get the chocolate gooey or they are still delicious at room temperature. You can make very large cookies or smaller ones and just cut the chocolate squares in half to fit on the cookie.
Ingredients for Cookies that Taste Like S’mores
- Graham crackers – for the best tasting cookies, whole graham crackers that you crush will have more flavor than graham cracker crumbs that are purchased. Just place them in a ziplock and roll with a rolling pin. You will need 12 graham crackers, only 9 come in a sleeve.
- Hershey chocolate bars – any chocolate will work, but Hershey’s milk chocolate will give you the classic flavor and texture of a s’more. Milk chocolate will melt quicker than bittersweet chocolate. You’ll need 8 regular size candy bars or about 2 ½ cups of chopped chocolate.
- Mini marshmallows – I’ve tried using large ones and cut them into pieces, it will work but it’s messy, I prefer the minis for this recipe.
- Pantry staples – butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, flour and salt.
How do you make S’more Cookies
Cream butter and sugar and add eggs, vanilla and graham cracker crumbs. Add baking soda, salt and flour and mix just until combined.
Chop 6 of the chocolate bars into small pieces and stir into the batter.
Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 6 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add mini marshmallows to the top.
Return to the oven and bake for 6 more minutes, until the cookies are slightly brown and the marshmallows are toasty brown.
Remove from oven, and immediately press a chocolate square onto the top of the cookie so that the bottom melts a little. Allow to cool just enough to handle.
This may be as close to a S’more as you can get without building a campfire. They are Natalie’s favorite all time cookie and one I’ll reach for when I’m feeling nostalgic.
How to Store S’more Cookies
You can store this at room temperature for a couple of days. After that they will need to be frozen.
To Freeze: Let them cool completely then lay them flat on a cookie sheet and freeze until the chocolate is firm. Remove and stack on top of each other in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Inspired by The Cookies and Cups Cookbook.
More delicious cookies to try
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs 12 crackers
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 cups milk chocolate 6 hershey bars, chopped
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 milk chocolate chocolate bars
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt, mixing until incorporated. Add the flour and beat just until combined.
- Stir in 6 chopped chocolate bars.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between them.
- Bake for 6 minutes, remove and add marshmallows to the top of the cookies. Return to oven and cook an additional 6-8 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Break the remaining 2 chocolate bars into pieces.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place the remaining chocolate pieces on top, pressing them into the hot cookie until it just starts to melt.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing to wire rack.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- If you don’t eat these right away, try warming one for a few seconds in the microwave to melt the chocolate on top.
- Make sure you use mini marshmallows, or if you only have regular sized chop it into small pieces.
- For true s’more taste you will need to use Hershey’s chocolate.
- To store, freeze for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens. Then you can stack them in an airtight container and freeze.