S’mores Cookies are as close to the real thing as you’ll find. Graham crackers folded into the batter give them the flavor you expect from a S’more and marshmallows toasted on top along with melted Hershey bars create a S’more without a campfire.
Each summer I try a ton of recipes trying to re-create a S’more. There is nothing that says summer more than making S’mores over a fire. I’ve tried making them in the oven, but it’s just not the same, S’more bars with Rice Krispies are pretty close in a bar form.
I haven’t been very successful in finding a cookie that recreates the taste and texture of a S’more. However, this cookie recipe comes pretty close. I got the idea from a cookbook, The Cookies and Cups Cookbook. Most recipes I’ve tried have the marshmallows inside, but by putting them on top, you get a roasted marshmallow flavor.
How to get cookies to taste like S’mores
The cookies have all the ingredients of a s’more: graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate.
What makes this recipe more s’more like than most is the roasted mini marshmallows that are added half way through the baking process. They turn a nice golden brown just as if they had been roasted over a fire.
Once you take the cookies out of the oven, you immediately put some chocolate pieces on top that melt right into the cookie. We decided these were best right out of the oven with everything gooey just like the real thing.
If you freeze or refrigerate the cookies, microwave them for just a few seconds to get the chocolate gooey or eat them at room temperature. I made very large cookies, but have since made smaller ones and just cut the chocolate smaller.
How do you make S’more Cookies
Step 1: Cream butter and sugar and add eggs, vanilla and graham cracker crumbs. Add baking soda, salt and flour and then add chocolate chunks.
Step 2: Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 6 minutes.
Step 3: Remove from the oven and add mini marshmallows to the top. Return to oven and bake for 6 more minutes.
Step 4: Remove from oven and immediately press chocolate squares onto the top of the cookie so that the bottom melts a little. Allow to cool slightly.
This may be as close to a S’more as you can get without building a campfire. I did send some of these to friends for an after dinner treat, and they agreed that they were fabulous, one of the best cookies they’ve had. They are Natalie’s favorite all time cookie!
FAQ’s and Tips
If freezing, first put them in the refrigerator so that the chocolate can harden. This way you can stack them and the chocolate will stay in place.
Yes, just place the graham crackers in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or wine bottle. You could also put them in a food processor.
If you want that nostalgic S’more taste, you need to use Hershey’s chocolate. Any chocolate will work but Hershey’s has a unique flavor that most associate with S’mores.
More delicious cookies that you’ll love
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs 12 crackers
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 cups milk chocolate 6 hershey bars, chopped
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 milk chocolate chocolate bars
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt, mixing until incorporated. While on low, add the flour and beat just until combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between them.
- Bake for 6 minutes, remove and add marshmallows to the top of the cookies. Return to oven and cook an additional 6-8 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place chopped chocolate squares on top, pressing it onto the hot cookie until it just starts to melt.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing to wire rack.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- If you don’t eat these right away, try warming one for a few seconds in the microwave to melt the chocolate on top.
- Make sure you use mini marshmallows, or if you only have regular sized chop it into small pieces.
- For true S’more taste you will need to use Hershey’s chocolate.
- To store, refrigerate for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens. Then you can stack them in an airtight container and freeze.
- If using graham crackers, you will need 12 to make 1 ½ cups of crumbs. Put them in a ziplock and crush with a rolling pin or wine bottle.