While I love my egg sandwiches, they are a little messy to eat. Some days I need breakfast that I can grab on the way out the door that still has lots of protein and not too many carbs. I found a low carb recipe on a sugar free website for these bagel type muffins that I decided to try. Not having cooked with coconut flour or flaxseed meal, I was a little skeptical. I’ve made lots of things with almond flour or ground almonds so I substituted almond flour for the protein powder the recipe called for and crossed my fingers that these would be good. To be on the safe side, I doubled the Italian sausage as I had a pound so why not cook all of it. By increasing the meat, I increased the number that it made from 12 to 18.
The recipe called for making these in a donut pan, which along with every other kitchen gadget, I actually have even though I’ve never used it for donuts. However, my pan only makes 6, so I pulled out my muffin top pan, which also makes 6 and then a regular muffin pan for the last 6. I used the same amount of batter for all three types of pans. If I had to choose, I guess my favorite were those made in the donut pan, but I promise they all tasted the same regardless of the shape, so don’t shy away from this recipe if you don’t have a donut pan.
Now for the taste, I was expecting something similar to cardboard but was pleasantly surprised at my first foray into the low carb baking arena. These were delicious. They are a wonderful savory breakfast muffin that you can eat on the go without a fork. Lots of protein and only 1.9 gm of carbs. I just microwaved them for a few seconds and I had a warm breakfast that I could eat in the car. These were so good, that I made a second batch and used Neeses sausage and adjusted the cheese a bit to get a combination that I liked. The second time, I used the donut pan and just made two batches. They came out about as big as a bagel and were sturdy enough to cut in half and eat with a little butter. I think I can justify buying another donut pan! I froze these in individual baggies so I can thaw one the night before and be ready to run out the door in the morning.
Adapted from Sugar Free MomPrint
Sausage Bagel Muffins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: low carb
- 12 eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup Ground flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup Coconut flour
- 1 cup Almond meal flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray baking pans with cooking spray. Use either donut pan, muffin top pan or muffin tin. It will make 12.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together flaxseed, coconut flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder. Gradually add to egg mixture stirring until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and mix. Add 1/2 to the egg mixture.
- Drain sausage onto a paper towel and add 1/2 to the egg mixture. Scoop about 1/4 cup of mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 of sausage.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until set, remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly on wire rack. To remove from the donut pan, twist in a circular motion.
- Adapted from Sugar-Free Mom