Natalie was home for a few days before May term starts back and wanted some real food. I forget how hard it is to come up with something for a quick week night meal after working all day. I’ve been working on a recipe for salmon using sun dried tomatoes, (still not quite right yet), when I saw this recipe for chicken with sun dried tomatoes. I didn’t want the sun dried tomatoes to be too overpowering and they weren’t. I loved the way all the ingredients came together to make a simple but awesome dish in a very short time.
I picked up the chicken on the way home and as soon as I walked in the door, I put it in a ziplock with some buttermilk and left it on the counter for about 30 minutes. Of course, if you plan a little better you can do this step the night before.
Next rinse off the buttermilk and pound the chicken breasts so they are even. I didn’t want them super thin, so I just evened them out so they would cook uniformly. Otherwise, one end gets done while the other end is raw. Saute for a few minutes on each side until they are golden and cooked through, about 165º. Remove and then saute some garlic with red pepper flakes. This added such a nice little kick to the creamy sauce. They turned out so juicy. We all loved this dish, so much so that I would make it for company in a heartbeat. I sauted some fresh green beans with a little bacon and shallots and we had a fantastic dinner in no time at all. Can’t wait for the girls to be home for the summer, it’s always more fun to cook for a crowd.
Adapted from Closet KitchenPrint
Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes is an easy and quick dinner option with a creamy flavorful sauce with just a hint of spice. Great for a weeknight and so simple you’ll be adding this to your rotation.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup white wine, or chicken broth
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a ziplock bag and add buttermilk. Let sit on the counter for 30 minutes or refrigerate until needed. Rinse off buttermilk and pat dry. Pound so that they are even throughout. Salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Temperature should be about 165º. Remove to a separate plate.
- In the same skillet, add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute about 1 minute. Add wine and cook down. Add broth, cream and sun dried tomatoes and parmesan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cooking until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and juices back to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until heated through.